Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Relay coil flickering

Status
Not open for further replies.

super_paws

I have a circuit in my car's headlamp system, which is supposed to trigger a relay whenever the high beams are activated. The high beams are ground-switched, so I have ground/12v on the 85/86 posts of the relay.

The problem is, however, that the high beams are also the daytime running lights, and PWM is active during the day on the 12v rail, causing the relay to rapidly flicker. Is there something that can be done to detect the PWM or cause the relay to only work when there's no PWM?

Before modification, is there only one switch (probably a transistor of some sort) which is ON 100% of the time at night (high-beams), and the same switch is pulsed ON-OFF during day time?

High beams should never be used for daytime running lights. Here in Canada, Chrysler and Jeep use un-dimmed high beams as daytime running lights and they blind on-coming drivers at dawn, at dusk and on cloudy days.
Dimmed low beams or turn signal lights are good daytime running lights.

I agree 100%, which is why there is PWM active during the day to dim them.

My visibility to the system is just the end wiring to the bulbs and the switch at the dash. I know PWM is active due to the relay flickering.

High beams should never be used for daytime running lights. Here in Canada, Chrysler and Jeep use un-dimmed high beams as daytime running lights and they blind on-coming drivers at dawn, at dusk and on cloudy days.
Dimmed low beams or turn signal lights are good daytime running lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back