Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Regulating Current

Status
Not open for further replies.

fantasymick

I'm working on a design project where some components (ie motors) need ~1A of current. But I've also got digital stuff on it that I don't want to exceed 200mA.

I've got only one source of power, from a 12V lead acid battery at 1.35A (ripped it off of an electric scooter).

I've got a 7805, connected directly to the battery to to drive the digital stuff. (The 7805 is getting kind of hot, I'm considering getting a 7809, and then connect the 7805 to it, is this a good idea?)

My question is, since the battery supplies this relatively high current, should I just connect it directly to the 7805 and drive the IC's? (I've tried it, and it works.)

My second questions is, if I do want to limit the current coming from the battery, what is a simple way to do it? ie. some chip I can just buy for the job.

Any suggestions my overall setup is also welcomed :)

Thanks.

fantasymick said:
I'm working on a design project where some components (ie motors) need ~1A of current. But I've also got digital stuff on it that I don't want to exceed 200mA.

I've got only one source of power, from a 12V lead acid battery at 1.35A (ripped it off of an electric scooter).

I've got a 7805, connected directly to the battery to to drive the digital stuff. (The 7805 is getting kind of hot, I'm considering getting a 7809, and then connect the 7805 to it, is this a good idea?)

Put a decent heatsink on the 7805, it should then be fine.

My question is, since the battery supplies this relatively high current, should I just connect it directly to the 7805 and drive the IC's? (I've tried it, and it works.)

My second questions is, if I do want to limit the current coming from the battery, what is a simple way to do it? ie. some chip I can just buy for the job.

A battery doesn't 'supply' a current, the load DRAWS the current, so the load will take what it needs, no more!.

If you wanted to limit the current capability of the battery you could do so, a simple resistor is a crude and simple way - but you need to have a reason to want to do this, and I don't think you do!.

Just what are you driving with a 7805? If you've got simple digital logic perhaps you should check it; most of the time simple stuff won't draw enough current to heat up a reg unless you're driving coils, leds, etc.

Resistors are a poor form of current limiting for motors, it makes them hard to start, run slower, and run at different speeds depending on loading. There are several schemes. A good simple idea might be a self-resetting circuit breaker, they don't drop much voltage until they open up. https://www.allelectronics.com carries some polymer fuses and flat battery pack fuses that both self reset.
https://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=245&item=RXE-065&type=store
https://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=170&item=CPX-100S&type=store

Here is a crop from LM317 datasheet...

Attachments

• 317.gif
    317.gif
    14.3 KB · Views: 404
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back