Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

regulated power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocky01

Hi,
I want to build a regulated power supply for which I can vary the o/p voltage from 0 to 220V. can anyone pls help me?

Something like that is better bought, it's no easy task to design and build a 0-220V power supply unless you know exactly what you're doing before you start.

And tell Mr. Creed I said hi! :)

Something like that is better bought, it's no easy task to design and build a 0-220V power supply unless you know exactly what you're doing before you start.

Agreed.

But just for the hell of it, what output current capacity were you hoping for?

Torben

My guess is 20 amp ... :)

I'm taking bets at 2-1 odds the original poster never responds. =)

AC/DC?

Servo controlled Varaic?

Switch mode switch mode!

Variac with a wide band adjustable linear regulator. The linear Reg uses a pot driven off the Variac shaft. :)

Digging this up because I'm building one.

Glad I found this forum. I'm looking to build my own variable linear DC power supply, and I don't know anyone else who I can bounce ideas off of, but this thread seemed to be the latest and closest to what I want to do. My apologies if the schematic seems haphazard - first time using it.

**broken link removed**

120V AC line supplies a Staco 0-180V variac, then rectified to provide DC. R1 allows slow initial charging of the capacitor banks, while F2-F4 keep the banks semi-isolated should one cap short out. Looking to get 120 VDC output at 10-12 amps. Ripple isn't a huge deal because I intend to do some inductor switching with it.

**broken link removed**

Caps are Sprague Powerlytic, 1100µF @ 250VDC. Will probably end up putting Plexiglas between the terminals to prevent arcing. Also will probably incorporate a contactor into the output terminals so shutting down the power supply isolates the capacitor bank from the output.

**broken link removed**

Installed in a nice Hoffman enclosure I picked up for a song. Since I have very little power supply building experience, I could really use some insight and opinions. Thanks in advance!

-Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back