Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Regulated power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.
eblc1388 said:
Assuming you are the one with Electronics knowledge or experience(trick question as the statement itself is already badly written because it doesn't has enough information to provide a definitative answer), show us all how the question should be properly worded? I'm more than happy to learn from your expertise.

To be honest, I wouldn't ask the question at all - because it's such a pointless one. But, if I HAD TO ask it, I would specify the exact make and model of the two PSU's, and provide the circuit diagrams of them both.

Or (even better), I would specify batteries instead of power supplies, and inform you that they are theoretically perfect batteries - which is what a PSU is trying to emulate (and failing!).

I imagine I'm like most people on these forums?, I've had actual experience in exams of un-answerable questions, badly written by people who don't have a clue!.

Nigel Goodwin said:
I imagine I'm like most people on these forums?, I've had actual experience in exams of un-answerable questions, badly written by people who don't have a clue!.

If the question is badly formed, or has missing information, it can still has several possible answers instead of an unique answer. That would still allow the examiner to mark the response.

The worst case is question that contains information contradictory to each other so one cannot provide a sensible answer.

eblc1388 said:
If the question is badly formed, or has missing information, it can still has several possible answers instead of an unique answer. That would still allow the examiner to mark the response.

You have a generous view of the people who mark exam papers? - usually they are teachers, and NOT technically competent ones - apparently most are usually English teachers in the UK?.

They have a sheet with the correct answers on, and they compare it to your answers - RIGHT or WRONG, by comparison with their answer sheet - with no understanding of the questions, or how clever you might be.

Sharp Electronics used to run a yearly service competition, in fact I won it twice - and am still the current UK champion (because they haven't run it since I last won!). However, the final exam was marked on site by the technical people who set the questions. One year there was a typically bad question - and this was to a room full of the top TV engineers in the UK. We all discussed it afterwards, and complained bitterly! - Sharp agreed to remove that question from the marking, and the guy who set the question apologised.

He was a nice guy, his name was Jim Cook, and we all knew him quite well - it makes a big difference when you can actually face the person who messed it up!.

Of course they should not run it a third time because the odds is high they would end up with the same winner. That would be hard bearing on other service engineers.

Tell them you have won the lottery and will not be attending the test anymore and I guess Sharp would one again held the test. :)

eblc1388 said:
Of course they should not run it a third time because the odds is high they would end up with the same winner. That would be hard bearing on other service engineers.

Certainly in the final we usually met many people that we had seen in previous years, and I wasn't the only multiple winner.

But the reason it was discontinued was due to the cost, manufacturers will happily spend lots of money on sales people, but aren't prepared to spend far less for service staff :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back