Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Regulated power supply design

Status
Not open for further replies.

inkedallusion

I am in search of some help. I am trying to build a power supply to run a basic "tank" circuit. The coils are just over 2 ohms, and I am using a 47mF capacitor in parallel with them. The power supply needs to be in the range of 1- 20 Volts, 2 amps, with a 10 turn potentiometer.
If anyone can please help me out, I have been reading books and trying to piece it together but it's been a little frustrating! :shock:

calculator

MOD_EDIT: OFF TOPIC POSTING.

STOP THIS MARIA. :twisted:
Just count how many times you have posted this same question in the forum.

If what you need is information on a power supply that will deliver 1 to 20 vdc at about 2 amps then look up the spec sheets on an LM338 - it's a 3 terminal variable regulator. I do not know if you can get quite as low as 1 volt. I do not know enough to describe how well regulated the supply will be but it is good enough for many applications.

The problem with a simple linear regulator is getting 2 amps over the entire voltage range (or vice versa). The unregulated supply will have to be around 25 volts, so at 1 volt and 2 amps, the regulator has to dissipate 48 watts. The usual solution to this problem is a switching regulator, but switchers generally have some residual high frequency noise on their outputs.

I once played around with a design that had 2 SCRs in the bridge (or center tapped) rectifier, and a tracking circuit that phase-modulated the SCRs to keep the voltage across the linear regulator at about 5 volts. I simulated it, but never built it, but I have no doubt it would work. You can also use a similar scheme, but with a tracking switching preregulator, if you need really clean (read linear regulator) DC. Keeping switching noise out of the output still requires careful attention to grounding and shielding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back