Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Regulated DC supply as battery charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

alex0432

My electric boat project has 24vdc lead batteries driving dc motors. For extended range I want to use a Honda inverter-type generator (2kw) to drive 24v regulated dc power supplies that would be in parallel with the lead batteries. These are cheaper and lighter than iron core transformers.

How much current would flow from the Reg DC supply ? Batteries have very low impedance, and so being in parallel, at 24.0 full volts batteries would hog the load, right ? But when battery voltage drops just one volt to 23.0 upon partial discharge, would the reg DC supply put full rated current into the batteries while trying to keep up the voltage ?

getting kind of pushy about this electric boat arnt you?
This thead is identical to the other one you just did and is a follow up to a first one.

We need more info relating to the application and purpose of the electric/ gas driven boat.

My previous post was about how the DC switching-mode supplies would interact with the generator. I havent got any response to that here, but a manufacturer application engineer says there is no line-side filter on the those power supplies and so they have very low power factor, which would limit this type of load on the generator to maybe half of the rated load.

However, on the brighter side, if the high-impedance generator output has severe voltage sag, maybe to 90v during a load peak, the regulated dc power supply would continue to provide 24vdc. So, Im expecting the generator output waveform to 'go to hell', but about half its rated power could be converted to useful 24vdc.

I guess thats my own reply to my earlier post.

Depending on the load drawn by the motors vs. the regulated output amperage you could probably determine the answer to your question. As for overcharging the batteries I doubt that a regulated 24VDC would overcharge as most 24V systems charge at about 27.5V. I am curious as to how you control the motor speed? Usually in DC motors it is by varying the voltage. Correct me if I'm wrong? I'm no expert but do have a lot of experience with 24/28VDC aircraft electrical systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back