Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Regarding PICKit 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rant on:

I strongly suggest building a programmer that does not attempt to use the RS232 voltage as a VPP source. It is neither hard or expensive to come up with a external source for VPP.

When you get one of these simple programmers working the first thing you should do is use it to program a chip for a ICD2 or PK2 clone. They will program all but the latest PICs and provide debugging too.

But anyone who can afford the $35 + shipping should just buy a PK2 from micorchip direct and be done with it. For about $10 more you can get the 3 which is what I am now suggesting.

Last edited:
better you build the pickit2 clone of palma

**broken link removed**

wire free zif programming...simple and clean...

Last edited:
That makes me a bit nervous collin. The RS232 voltage is somewhat of an unknown. I would be much more comfortable with a transistor switching a regulated source. Or at least use a volt meter at add just enough cells to get a correct VPP.

Firstly the 15k limits the current to 1mA and the Vpp line is not critical to over-voltage. You can adjust the 6v supply if needed. Some chips need over 13.5v to "open-up," so you really don't know what voltage you need.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,
Thanks for your support. I was able to program the PICs using NOPPP successfully...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back