Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Reel Stepper Motor Wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbxslvr

I have an old (broken) slot machine. The boards are bad, but some components still work. I'm interested in putting the three stepper motors (which once drove the spinning wheels inside) to use with a PIC of some kind. I'd have no problem doing this if I knew the corresponding function for each colored wire, but I have no idea how to figure it out. My question is, is there a way to probe around using a multimeter to find the functionality of the different wires? Another idea I had was to take the motor apart and see where certain wires are connected. I'm worried that I might mess the motor up in the process (somehow misalign something - I really don't know). So, how can I do it?

See
The number of wires will likely be 4, 5, 6 or 8; all these combinations are shown on the above page. Just measure the resistance between different wires with your meter to find which ones have a coil in between. Once you connect it up to the controller, if the stepper goes backwards or stutters you'll just have to swap the wires around until it works.

Last edited:
I was searching around and found a page similar to that telling me to test the resistance, but I thought "How am I going to know which set of wires is which!?" It never occurred to me that guess and check was an option. Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back