Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Red Light Relay???

Status
Not open for further replies.

wjp9639

Could someone help me build a circuit to run lights in a novelty redlight sequentially like at a real red light? I have an old redlight that I want to put in my shop and make the lights cycle through 3 bulbs sequentially? It's probably pretty simple, but I'm pretty new to electronics. I want to use 3 110v 75 watt bulbs. Thanks, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Could someone help me build a circuit to run lights in a novelty redlight sequentially like at a real red light? I have an old redlight that I want to put in my shop and make the lights cycle through 3 bulbs sequentially? It's probably pretty simple, but I'm pretty new to electronics. I want to use 3 110v 75 watt bulbs. Thanks, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

hi,:)
I would suggest that you use relays, one for each of the three mains lamps.

A simple sequencer using something like a 555 timer for the oscillator and a 4017 counter/decoder to drive three transistors which would in turn power the dc relays.
You will require a 12V wall wart power supply, about 12Vdc at 300mA.

I'll attach some some circuit links.
Look at the LED sequencer circuits, they use the same timing ideas to drive LED's.

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
I did that for a friend. I just bought this "traffic light kit" (Google that for others) Traffic Light Kit, model #MK131 - All Spectrum Electronics and used the outputs for one set of 3 LEDs to drive the LEDs in three SSRs that switched 120Vac lamps in his traffic light. Added a Goodwill wall wart to power the circuit.

Ken

can you point me in the right direction for the ssr relays you used?

can you point me in the right direction for the ssr relays you used?

Thanks

thanks kmoffett. I just ordered the parts and I think I can assemble them pretty easily. Thanks for all your help. that traffic light kit saved me alot of headache for sure!!!

To simplify things I left out the set of Rd/Yl/Gn LEDs on the right side or the board and wired the SSR inputs in their place. I installed the LEDs on the left side to act as indicators. I also left out the two sets of three LEDs pointing to the front and back, just to compact things.

Ken

To simplify things I left out the set of Rd/Yl/Gn LEDs on the right side or the board

When you remove the extra led's do you just leave the circuit open or do you short a wire across where they were?

Here's the circuit: https://www.allspectrum.com/velleman/MK131/Manual_MK131.pdf
For the uninstalled front and back LEDs, I just left the connections open...as I recall. Actually you can leave all the LEDs off, connect the SSR's (-)input to common, and SSR's (+)input to the appropriate resistors from diode OR'd outputs. Actually you don't need the 100Ω resistors, as the SSR's have internal current limiting resistors.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back