Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Rectifier Diode substitution

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr-Dave

I ordered replacement diodes for my Mecc Alte generator. The originals were 3A 1300V ( BY255) and I have been sent 6A 1000V (6A10/P600M). Can I safely substitute the supplied diodes. Im in a very remote area and if I need to re-order im going to be without power for another 2 weeks. Thanks in advance. Dave

You don't say the voltage and current rating of the generator. I guess that the diodes are for the excitation supply.

Mecc Alte quote 1 kVa to 3000 kVa so there is a huge range to chose from.

Did the diodes come from Mecc Alte? If so, they probably know what they are doing.

There isn't usually a big price increase to go from 1000 V to 1300 V so the 1300 V may have been used before without actually needing such a high voltage rating.

https://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/b...lts=true&appliedparametrics=true&locale=en_UK

That shows a range of diodes, and none of them cost much.

There could be a need for the higher current rating, or that could be that Mecc Alte use one diode for a range of replacement applications, to save on stock holding.

Its a 9kva 240 volts. Only a baby realy. I wondered if they just used the same diodes to save on stock holding. They werent supplied by Mecc Alta but a reputable rewind place.

I just accessed the Mecc Alte site and looked at the specifications of several different alternators and they use the same diodes right up to the 25kva. Im guessing that Diver300 was probably right about saving on stockholding. So now my question is, being that the originals are 3A 1300V will it be ok to just replace the 1 blown diode with the 6A 1000V or will I need to replace all 6.
Thanks for your help guys, its very much appreciated. Dave

Hi guys. I was a bit premature with my last post. :eek: I replaced the faulty diode and now the Htz goes off the scale (over 60Htz) and still 0volts. I cant find any other obvious problems. Any clues??

Rechecked all the diodes again....all good. Engine is running normal speed. Cant understand why the Hz has gone up higher let alone why no voltage in the first place. Before I replaced the diode I had no voltage but the Hz was normal ( 51Hz) Got me scratching my head!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back