Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Recommend Micro USB B PCB Socket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike - K8LH

Has anyone here sourced a nice PCB Micro USB 'B' socket from an AliExpress vendor? It would also be nice if dimensions and/or or a datasheet were available in order for me to build the PCB pattern...

I'd like to start adding a USB connector and an MCP2221A USB IC to my Pocket SBC projects...

TIA... Cheerful regards, Mike McLaren, K8LH

Concept 3.png

I use **broken link removed**. It fits in a cutout in the board, which I like – it tends to hold the pins in the right position while the socket is soldered.

Dimensions are shown in the ad

SmartSelect_20200401-154300_Firefox.jpg

I recommend anything that the pins are smt but the actual shield is through hole. If it's all smt they will most likely rip off.

I made a digikey search for ya .

**broken link removed**

Btw I use these on mines:

Was going to buy these:

Last edited:
Jason & gang: Do you think this connector would be ok? It's got two plastic index tabs and two through-hole solder tabs, but, compared to that other connector with four solder tabs, it looks like I might have more clearance for soldering the five leads.

usb conn dimensions.png

Yeah. I'd say it's good. As long as something is through hole to hole it down. The little plastic pegs are great for alignment.also make sure to make those pads under it also. I think have one like that. I have tried many.. I mean many USB connectors lol

Short answer.. yes use em . Lol

Btw if you ever need an eagle part made... Id help out. I love making parts. So easy in eagle.

Yeah. I'd say it's good. As long as something is through hole to hole it down. The little plastic pegs are great for alignment.also make sure to make those pads under it also. I think have one like that. I have tried many.. I mean many USB connectors lol

Short answer.. yes use em . Lol

Btw if you ever need an eagle part made... Id help out. I love making parts. So easy in eagle.
Thanks, Jason...

Hey, I tried Eagle long ago and gagged... Worst UI I've ever experienced. So I've been using DipTrace for awhile. Unfortunately, I've just run into the 'free' version 300 pin limit so I may have to look at KICAD.

Cheerful regards...

Look at EasyEDA by JLCPCB. Easy learning curve, all the features for free, and it generates Gerber files that any fab house can use at no cost.

Look at EasyEDA by JLCPCB. Easy learning curve, all the features for free, and it generates Gerber files that any fab house can use at no cost.
I just used JLCPCB for a board in December and I'm very pleased with the quality... I didn't realize they had a CAD package. I will definately give EasyEDA a look. Thank you!!!

If you contact diptrace they will upgrade to 1000 connections for free, at least they did for me.

The only problem I've had with EasyEDA is that it's easy to inadvertently more parts around on schematics and board layouts. If no component is selected, the arrow keys scroll the window around the board.

If a component is selected, the arrow keys shift the component, often really screwing things up.

The solution is simple though. Once you have components in place, lock them in position.

A year or two ago Autodesk bought Eagle and have gradually been improving it. Might be worth another look.

Mike.

The only mess up I see is when selecting multiple parts using marque tool. Sometimes it moves a single part.. I hate it so much .. but love eagle otherwise.

The only mess up I see is when selecting multiple parts using marque tool. Sometimes it moves a single part.. I hate it so much .. but love eagle otherwise.
If you right click, the menu contains "move group" assuming you have move selected.

Mike.

If i choose group and try to select a couple parts close to other parts it will just drag what ever im close to instead of selecting parts to group.

Like select group... That little icon that looks like a mouse pointer and box... then if you click close enough to an item it will drag that item instead of creating a box to select stuff.

I just selected an area and then selected the move tool and right clicking gets this menu.
move.png

You see the "move: group" item.

Mike.
BTW, I'm on version 9.5.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back