Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

recommend a good soldering iron

Status
Not open for further replies.

lokeycmos

looking for some advice or a recommendation for a new soldering iron. I recently broke my 30 watt iron and looking to replace it with something a little better. im looking for a stand alone, not a station, because I put It in my back pack and take it to work with me. ive been looking on ebay and radio shack, but it seems like everyone is using steel tips. why do they even make steel tips? solder doesn't stick to steel. ive had bad luck trying to tin steel tips. what I was using before my iron broke was a thick piece of copper wire ground to a shiny tip that tinned very nicely. it will be for general purpose and the ocassional small stuff like soldering usb jacks. thanks!

Everyone that I have talked to likes Metcal, although it's probably not in your price range.

Iron Clad tips are normal.

Copper oxidizes.

All my "standalone" irons are Antex, and have been for the last 34 years. Before that I used Adcola. I have tried other makes, but never been happy.

Iron clad tips are much better than copper. I use them professionally 40 hours a week and they will last about a year at normal soldering temperature. Weller or Hakko both make a very good iron. 30 watt is a nice hot iron for through hole or point to point construction although it may be too hot for the inexperienced.

Here is an example of a Weller with changeable tips.
**broken link removed**

I agree with iron tips being better than copper. The soldering technique varies a little, but you'll get used to it.
Copper does have a better heat transfer, but oxidizes readily.

I'd go with antex, they have never let me down, except for once, where they replaced it for free. i just use the simple ones, no temperature control, but ive never needed it really.

My Weller temperature-controlled soldering iron is 48 years old and still works perfectly. It is still being made and sold.
Its iron-plated tip comes tinned from the factory and lasts for many years even when it is hot every day all day.
Its tip temperature is always at the correct temperature.

Cheap soldering irons without temperature control sit getting hotter and hotter. When you try to solder with them then the rosin in the solder vapourizes immediately and the tip is a cruddy mess of burnt stuff so it solders very poorly.
Since the tip is almost always too hot then it corrodes quickly and needs replacement often.

My Weller temperature-controlled soldering iron is 48 years old and still works perfectly. It is still being made and sold.
Its iron-plated tip comes tinned from the factory and lasts for many years even when it is hot every day all day.
Its tip temperature is always at the correct temperature.

Cheap soldering irons without temperature control sit getting hotter and hotter. When you try to solder with them then the rosin in the solder vapourizes immediately and the tip is a cruddy mess of burnt stuff so it solders very poorly.
Since the tip is almost always too hot then it corrodes quickly and needs replacement often.

Quite right... I too have a weller station.. It has a simple temperature control and can sit at 350°C all day without being used... Just dab the tip onto the wet sponge and she's ready to go....

I know it is relatively expensive, but I recommend the Hakko FX-951. It is outstanding.

My Weller temperature-controlled soldering iron that is 48 years old costed about $48.00. Then its value is only $1.00 per year which is a bargain.
A Cheapo soldering iron solders poorly, needs its tip replaced frequently and does not last long so it is EXPENSIVE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back