Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Reasoning behind 8ohm speakers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
the hi fi system

Great topic. I have a console stereo (hi fi) from the 60s. Great sound in a wood cabinet and huge speakers. Console weighs 200 lbs. The question: Because the turntable is shot, because there is an occasional buzz in the amp, and because I want to convert to CD format, is it worth-while to attempt to attach a CD player and modern amp to the speaker system given the likely disparity in impedence? Cost-wise, am I better off scrapping the thing? I heard the Japanese are buying these consoles and restoring them?

If it were mine I'd spend some time trying to repair it. While maybe it isn't a collector's item I'd still like something like that. On the lookout for a nice old table top or floor model shortwave radio to refurbish.

1960s stereo

I refurbished my 1960s stereo by building and installing a new amp.

I connected the CD to the Aux input.

Re: the hi fi system

dd7734 said:
Great topic. I have a console stereo (hi fi) from the 60s. Great sound in a wood cabinet and huge speakers. Console weighs 200 lbs. The question: Because the turntable is shot, because there is an occasional buzz in the amp, and because I want to convert to CD format, is it worth-while to attempt to attach a CD player and modern amp to the speaker system given the likely disparity in impedence? Cost-wise, am I better off scrapping the thing? I heard the Japanese are buying these consoles and restoring them?

The speaker impedance isn't likely to be a problem, any decent modern amplifier should be able to cope with 4 ohms upwards. Where problems may occur is in the power handling, old speakers commonly have very low power handling, only 10 or 15 watts is highly likely. One moments inattention with a modern amplifer, and your speakers could be toast!.

Many years ago we supplied some B&W (Bowers and Wilkins) speakers to a customer - B&W are one of the worlds top HiFi speaker manufacturers. They were quite large speakers, and we also supplied (at the customers request) a Wharfdale 100.1 amplifier - these were rated at 35W per channel (but a very conservative 35W).

The system worked excellently for many years, then the customer (who was a doctor) went on holiday, leaving his teenage son at home. I don't think I really need to explain further :lol: - one teenage son, one party, two dead speakers - they were only rated at 15W.

the hi fi system

Nigel's point is a good one. I modified the amp kit that I bought to limit the power output to the speakers' capability.

Len

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back