Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Really basic current/voltage question

Status
Not open for further replies.

supersalo

I've got a development board that uses a 5V, 300mA power supply.
Of course, I have the board, but the power supply is nowhere to be found.

I do have a lab-type supply that has a 2-20V, 2A supply on it.
If I set the voltage to 5V, there shouldn't be any harm to the development board, right?

If I'm remembering my 'schooling' right, since the board only draws 300mA, it should be ok. The supply isn't sending 2A to the circuit, it's just capable of delivering that much current. Correct?

The rust on my electronics skills became really apparent when looking at this..... :)

Sal

Your bench supply should be fine. Just remember, if you have analog meters on the supply, double check the voltage with a multimeter before hooking things up.; some of those analog meters can be way off.

To be on the safe side you should set the current limit to 300mA. That is of course if your power supply supports this feature. Its fine saying your board only draws 300mA but what happens when you start loading the board with components. Just something for you to think about

andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back