Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RC Plane Control Surface Movement

Status
Not open for further replies.

DigiTan

I was going to attempt an electric RC plane project this summer and I was stumped on how to get the control surfaces to move without requiring a heavy servo. Are traditional servos common in small RC craft or is something less conventional used? I was expecting to find something about the size of a pager motor, but obviously with a little more control and torque. Any ideas?

That would be difficult, the smallest servo I know of is the micro servo which is strong in torqe but expensive in price.

do you have a size for the plane?

Okay, I checked out the tower website. Are **broken link removed** the type of servos you were talking about, or do they go even smaller?

For the plane, the layout is very vague at this time, but generally I was hoping for a wingspan of no more than 20 inches. So generally, it was going to be a small battery-powered slow-flier. I'm trying to keep the weight under .5 kg so I'm squeezing every gram.

The link you gave me was bad, th micro servo's are very lite.

I think they would work best for what you want to do

https://www.micromo.com/ might be worth a look ,
some very small DC and stepper motors and the
thin profile range is fascinating. Sadly they do look expensive.

The commercially available micro servo wieghing in at 9 grams
offers the best solution.
**broken link removed** for an off the shelf solution

The best way to go is with the mini servo's, I build rc plane's for people and I have built small airplane's and the micro-servo was the best.

Also It depend's on what type of transmitter you want and If you want it to be the traditional.

I know that a servo is basicly just a Dc motor geared with a electronic board and a potentiometer.

That is the best way in my opinion but take in mine that I build rc airplane's often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back