RC Plane Control Surface Movement

Status
Not open for further replies.

DigiTan

I was going to attempt an electric RC plane project this summer and I was stumped on how to get the control surfaces to move without requiring a heavy servo. Are traditional servos common in small RC craft or is something less conventional used? I was expecting to find something about the size of a pager motor, but obviously with a little more control and torque. Any ideas?

That would be difficult, the smallest servo I know of is the micro servo which is strong in torqe but expensive in price.

do you have a size for the plane?

As far as I know standard model plane servo's are used, I suggest you check the radio control sites - they should have more details.

Okay, I checked out the tower website. Are **broken link removed** the type of servos you were talking about, or do they go even smaller?

For the plane, the layout is very vague at this time, but generally I was hoping for a wingspan of no more than 20 inches. So generally, it was going to be a small battery-powered slow-flier. I'm trying to keep the weight under .5 kg so I'm squeezing every gram.

The link you gave me was bad, th micro servo's are very lite.

I think they would work best for what you want to do

https://www.micromo.com/ might be worth a look ,
some very small DC and stepper motors and the
thin profile range is fascinating. Sadly they do look expensive.

The commercially available micro servo wieghing in at 9 grams
offers the best solution.
**broken link removed** for an off the shelf solution

The best way to go is with the mini servo's, I build rc plane's for people and I have built small airplane's and the micro-servo was the best.

Also It depend's on what type of transmitter you want and If you want it to be the traditional.

I know that a servo is basicly just a Dc motor geared with a electronic board and a potentiometer.

That is the best way in my opinion but take in mine that I build rc airplane's often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…