Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

rc car help

Status
Not open for further replies.
YOu probably will need to replace ths speed controller though to one that can handle 12V. If I were you, I would replace everything.

Yes, replace the entire car!

Best thing to do is just keep the mechanics of the car and replace everything electrical.

But motors with a higher voltage rating will have thinner wire so that they are the same size as the lower voltage motors. Therefore the current will be less and the power will be the same. You gain nothing.

With higher voltage version of the motor (assuming same power motor) he gains more RPMs for the same gearing (assuming the the original motor torque was rated conservatively). It is a car after all, where faster is better.

But he's probably just going for a higher power motor which usually means a higher voltage motor so he can get higher speed as well as better acceleration.

THe wire gauge doesn't really have much to do with it...wires aren't permanently attached to the motors.

Last edited:
I was talking about the wire size in the motor's coils.

A 6V, 1A motor uses heavy wire for a low voltage loss at 1A and is 6W.
A 12V, 0.5A motor is the same size, uses thinner wire and is also 6W.
The same power and the same RPM with the same mechanical load.

The 6V motor will have more power and will have a higher RPM with 12V, but it will smoke.

audioguru said:
I was talking about the wire size in the motor's coils.

A 6V, 1A motor uses heavy wire for a low voltage loss at 1A and is 6W.
A 12V, 0.5A motor is the same size, uses thinner wire and is also 6W.
The same power and the same RPM with the same mechanical load.

The 6V motor will have more power and will have a higher RPM with 12V, but it will smoke.

That's called overvolting the motors (mentioned earlier). It's used in battlebots. It's risky, but if you can keep your motors cool enough you can get more power out of them for less weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back