Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Rain sensor, Automatic wipers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I see the kit and how complete it is than i think it's a hard to beat it for that price

Robert-Jan

I agree. Also, it's a little hard to say exactly what the rain sensor itself actually is, although perhaps someone else here knows.

As for the Aaroncake headlight circuit, how does it deal with highly reflective road signs, twilight driving, brakelights. . . ? Personally I would have a hard time trusting such a device. But then, I pay attention while driving and so have no use for it. ;)

Torben

The sensor should be easy using a single CMOS gate; the problem is drying the sensor when the rain stops.

Last edited:
According to "HowStuffWorks": For the TRW system used on many GM cars "The sensor projects infrared light into the windshield at a 45-degree angle. If the glass is dry, most of this light is reflected back into the sensor by the front of the windshield. If water droplets are on the glass, they reflect the light in different directions -- the wetter the glass, the less light makes it back into the sensor."

Thus the amount of reflected light is used to control the speed of the wiper.

The sensor should be easy using a single CMOS gate; the problem is drying the sensor when the rain stops.

Except the website says that the sensors goes inside the windshield.

Torben

Except the website says that the sensors goes inside the windshield.
Torben

Yeah, this infrared thing sounds like a good idea, and as long as the car is moving the rain drop drying problem is solved (on not. . .).
Moving rubber on dry glass is not a good idea.

Yeah, this infrared thing sounds like a good idea, and as long as the car is moving the rain drop drying problem is solved (on not. . .).
Moving rubber on dry glass is not a good idea.

You mean you *don't* like pretty little grooves etched into the glass surface? But they catch the light so nicely and give you something to look at besides that boring old road. ;)

Torben

that boring old road.
Waxing philosophical, the road I've been on hasn't been too boring. . .and mostly it's been my fault!!!
:)

Last edited:
-hehehe,,, can I ask for help in understanding this codes? Someone gave me this codes but I don't understand it. It is supposed to be a five minute delay in PIC16F84.. Is this the one?

list p=16F84A
#include <p16F84A.inc>

__CONFIG _CP_OFF & _WDT_OFF & _PWRTE_ON & _RC_OSC

d1 equ 0x0D
d2 equ 0x0E
d3 equ 0x0F
d4 equ 0x10

org 0X000
goto Init

org 0X004
retfie

Init

bsf STATUS,RP0
clrf TRISB
clrf TRISA
bcf STATUS,RP0

clrf PORTA
clrf PORTB

Main

bsf PORTB,0
call Del5M
bcf PORTB,0
call Del5M
goto Main

Del5M

movlw 0x54
movwf d1
movlw 0xA1
movwf d2
movlw 0xFD
movwf d3
movlw 0x02
movwf d4

Delay_0

decfsz d1, f
goto $+2
decfsz d2, f
goto $+2
decfsz d3, f
goto $+2
decfsz d4, f
goto Delay_0

;5 cycles
goto $+1
goto $+1
nop
return

end

-forgive me.. but I'm One among those who lack the understanding in binary..

Last edited:
Get your own thread.. :D

Anyone got any serious answers for me then? Even the type of sensor for the rain circuit would be nice.

The sensor type is explained in a post above (look for the quote from howstuffworks.com). It's just an IR module which bounces IR off the windshield at a 45 degree angle.

I would suggest that it might be a good idea to modulate the IR beam so that ambient light does not interfere with the operation, and also maybe take an average of several readings over a period of time before reacting to changes, so that the thing doesn't run into a situation where it wants to turn on, then immediately off, then on again. . .etc when there is an edge condition.

Torben

-hehehe,,, can I ask for help in understanding this codes? Someone gave me this codes but I don't understand it. It is supposed to be a five minute delay in PIC16F84.. Is this the one?

Jane,

Once again, please start your own threads for your own questions, especially if your question has nothing to do with the thread you're hijacking.

Also, just one thread on a topic is enough. Posting multiple threads just makes things confusing as people cannot keep track of what has already been said on a topic.

Thanks,

Torben

-I am trying to have my luck in getting answers on this thread. I already post this question on the the other threads..

-If anyone knows assembly please help me..

-I am trying to have my luck in getting answers on this thread. I already post this question on the the other threads..

-If anyone knows assembly please help me..

As this is a micro controler iseu you should make a new thread in that section of the forum to increase the response of your question

Robert-Jan

I know, that's why I asked you to stop. You have to be patient. Post each issue once, in a new thread. Then you might have to wait--sometimes, for days--before you get answers. It may be that the best people to answer your questions are at work, or eating, or asleep, or doing any of the other things that people do besides wait for posts to answer.

Posting the same thing multiple times is annoying to everybody else and just makes things hard to keep track of. Hijacking other peoples' threads is just rude.

Torben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back