Rain makes antenna pickup more channels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

killivolt

My daughters digital antenna is on top of their trailer. She can only get a few channels, until it rains.

In addition if she spray's it with water all around on the trailer and antenna same effect. Better reception.

I'm thinking it just needs a better ground. On the other hand, I went to a site that someone said when the atmosphere changes it can effect reception?

Has anyone ever known of this, any idea's?

kv

I just seen the Edit. I'll check into it. Let you know how it works.

I haven't been their yet, but I'm going over this weekend.

Thanks for the reply 4pyros

Last edited:
No, ............... and it is isolated from ground by the tires.

if the roof is metal, then isolation from the ground doesnt stop it from being a ground plane for the antenna

@ killivolt .... just out of curiosity, how old is the antenna and coax feed ?
just wondering if its aged or damaged and needs a bit of an overhaul
even just redoing the coax terminations to the antenna may solve the issue if they have corroded a bit

D

Last edited:
if the roof is metal, then isolation from the ground doesnt stop it from being a ground plane for the antenna
Thats only if the ground for the antenna is tied to the metal roof, if not its just a floating chunk of metal.

( Davenn, the antenna is about 6 months old. Brand new cable. )

4pyros, I went out last weekend and put some wire mesh under the antenna as best I could, but it's mounted on the "top side of the trailer" so, I could only get the back half of it, with no results.

I acquired additional info. She said, "I can also (just) spray the leading tip of the antenna to get the additional channels" The antenna is mounted with 2 "U" clamps to the side of the trailer.

I didn't have the time to experiment or the correct ladder (Lightning Storm was approaching). Next, I'll try running coax down from the tip of the "horizontal center" and dangle to the ground rod.

If that works, I'll cable tie it under the horizontal center of the antenna then down the mast.

The installation instructions should have read:

( After planting your new antenna, you need to add water )

kv

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…