Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

R in parallel- Check my math please...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RogerTango

If you would please check my math, I would appreciate it...

Goal: 1.25Ω @ 2w power capability

Wired: 4X 5Ω 1/2w resistors in parallel

1/5 + 1/5 + 1/5 + 1/5 = .8

1/.8 = Rt, 1/.8 = 1.25Ω

1/2(w) + 1/2(w) + 1/2(w) + 1/2(w) = 2(w) power rating

Final answer: 1.25Ω @ 2w power rating

Is this correct please?

Thanks,
Andrew

Last edited:
Yep, just fine.

Ron

Your math is correct but I wouldn't dissipate more than about 1.5W total in those resistors for best reliability.

Oh yes,

Goal: 1.25Ω @ 2w power capability

Your math is correct. You have a 1.25 Ohm 2 Watt resistor but you would not want to have it dissipate the max of 2 watts. I should have mentioned that as Carl points it out.

Ron

Last edited:
Thank you kindly, not running 100% w noted... I only needed 1.7w, so I already buffered up! :)

Andrew

That's not enough overhead for a lot of situations. The 1/2W rating is if they are free standing in cool air, and 4 resistors togther will heat each other.

You need to make sure they are up off the PCB and well away from each other, and hopefully with some air cooling (not a sealed enclosure).

If it was me I woudl just use a 1.2 ohm 5W resistor and mount it a bit above the PCB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back