Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Quiet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning Gramo,

Knock Knock, is there anybody there??

I suppose it depends were the weekend begins, its 08:30 in the UK, I think you are in OZ, is that correct.
UK clocks go forward tonight 1 hour, so our weekends will be offset +/-1. [Whatever!]

Regards
Eric

Our clocks go back an hour tonight to standard time, ie. GMT + 10 on the east coast, GMT + 8 in the west.

Some idiot decided to change the date when we reset our clocks. We sprang forward two weeks ago, nearly a full month earlier than before.

My computer refused to go along, however. It's adamant about holding on to the old ways, much like we old folks. I changed it manually, but it immediately popped back to its programmed time. It will catch up in a few days, though.

Happy weekend to all.

Perhaps your computer might be tracking the time of your ISP.

Your problem might be solved by disabling the Windows Time service. Go to start, run, type in services.msc, press enter, scroll down to "Windows Time", right click, properties and select disable.

Last edited:
Thanks, but I really don't care. It will auto change when the REAL daylight savings time comes along. Hehe.

Really, I have an atomic time program running and that is what insists on doing the right thing. I could disable that program if I was concerned. Thanks again.

I have to use Internet time to keep my machine's clock up to date (I have a defective RTC it loses multiple minutes a day) and it's not affected, then again the timer server it's using may have updated to know about the new daylight savings time. Do time servers send daylight savings info? seeing as how it's not a global thing I wouldn't think so.
AllVol, are you sure your machine is fully patched? Unless you're fully patched your machine isn't going to know about the new daylight savings time even with a time server.

I think daylight saving time is silly but I imagine not everyone bothers; I can't see people living on the equator changing the clocks twice every year.

Daylight savings time isn't in every country.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_savings_time

The three weeks earlier they're doing it here in the states is a test as they have sufficient statistics from previous years to see if doing it a little earlier helps anything. I thought I heard a county in the US actually switched 2 hours due to some local weirdness. Personally I like it. I'm just off for about a week after the switch.

Sceadwian said:
Daylight savings time isn't in every country.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_savings_time

The three weeks earlier they're doing it here in the states is a test as they have sufficient statistics from previous years to see if doing it a little earlier helps anything. I thought I heard a county in the US actually switched 2 hours due to some local weirdness. Personally I like it. I'm just off for about a week after the switch.

Back when I was at school we didn't change one year, for an experiment, it meant I went to school in the dark, and came back in the dark - they haven't tried it again since, although it gets discussed every few years. The thing is the UK is all one time zone, and the changes still have a beneficial effect in the north of Scotland.

You're at 53N degrees lattitude, I'm at 43N degrees in the states, so we don't have quiet as bad daylight shifts here, what's your shortest and longest day like there?

Although I'm a bit south of Nigel, the shortest day where I live is about 8 hours.

I start work at 8 and finnish at 5:15, in the middle of winter it's pretty dark going to work in the morning and leaving work in the evening. I wouldn't mind having British summer time all year round, all it would meen is it'd be totally dark in the morning instead of the evening in mid-winter. I would prefer it in general since I'd rather have the extra hour's daylight after work rather than in the morning when I'm still in bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back