Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Quick ICSP Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suraj143

To program a microcontroller mostly using these MCLR, PGD, PGC & GND pins.

Let say my TARGET board has an ICSP connector.

If I program my TARGET processor by a SIMPLE programmer by connecting the program lines to the ISCP connector it will program.

Now my question is after programmed the TARGET chip BEFORE powering up the target chip I have to remove the ICSP connector. So why it’s telling it’s an ICSP.
All the time I have to remove the ICSP connector.

Also if I have some LED’S connected in the RB6, RB7 in the TARGET board, BEFORE programming I have to remove that too.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
You only have to program the target once. After it is programmed and you remove the connector the target will operate quite happily without further intervention. As to the pins used for programming you need to isolate the application circuitry from the programming function.

It is called an In Circuit Serial Programmer because you do not have to pull the chip from your circuit and move it to a programmer socket/board.

If you do not share the ICSP pins you can leave the ICSP connector connected when you run. With an ICD2 programmer "release from reset". With the ICD2 debugger "run". Any programmer can allow the target to run by floating MCLR or setting it to +5.

Unless you are doing some high volumn product get a PIC with enough pins so you not have to share ICSP pins. It fixes everything you are talking about.

Oh I see its called ICSP bcuz I don't have to remove the chip from my target board.But I have to remove the ICSP connector after programming.(I'm programming from a normal programmer).

After programming from ICprog does the MCLR goes +5V or floating.Bcuz I turn OFF the MCLR fuse in the ICprog.
Even my programmer is a LVP type no more external power required for that so do I still have to remove the ICSP connector after programming.

Thanks for both of you.

LVP requires PGM and MCLR to be raised in a specific order. I think that IC-Prog doesn't support LVP, since the author recommends that PGM is pulled to ground for LVP-capable microcontrollers (see supported devices).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back