Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Questions about video dacs/digital modification

Status
Not open for further replies.
The I/O speed of the PIC is probably less than 20MByte/s.

Ok guys I have a theory/system design question.

Ok, so say I have a input video signal at 20MHz for simplicity sake (720x480x60), and I have a 10-bit 40MSPS A/D. So I have 10-bit video data clocked out on the A/D going into my DSP every 25ns.

So every 25ns I have new pixel data showing up on my DSP.

Does that mean I have to latch in the new data every 25ns, do whatever processing I want to do to the data and send the data out before I need to latch in the next pixel 25ns later?

If so, thats editing by pixel, what if I wanted it to do by line instead? So I sit and do nothing but latch data in until the line is full, process the line, send out the line, then be ready again all within 25ns? Or am I missing something here?

Also, at what frequency do I need to send out the pixel/line? do I also need to send it out at 40MBps?

From thinking about this it sounds like the DSP has to be MUCH faster than 40MIPs if I want to actually process the data and be ready to store the next sample.

Once more what is the RGB source? What are you trying to do with the signal?

*Any* generic RGB source with resolutions up to 720x480p.

For example:

A DVD player.
A video game console.
A computer running at 640x480 resolution.

I'm going to be trying some video processing things such as line doubling 240p sources to 480p, de-interlacing 480i signals to 480p. Have overlay menus on top of the video to select options (similar to a regular TV menu), adjust brightness to the source, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back