Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question wifi and bluetooth erase data discs and flash memory?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Waves of WIFI or Bluetooth circulating in a room can erase data written on DVD discs and memory flash of sd cards? Discs CD/DVD/MDISC and cards located same room of waves

No.
The only way RF energy (electromagnetic radiation has any effect on such things is when the power levels are great enough to cause induced voltages high enough to cause electrical harm or heating due to the associated currents.

eg. As in a microwave oven, with around 1000W power input and no exit or absorbtion other than the item being heated/cooked.
(Or, technically, direct infrared radiation as with heat from a fire or burning something with a lens in sunlight - but that's not radio frequency energy).

The power levels from bluetooth and wifi etc. are trivial, small fractions of a watt and have no effect on other electronics (or people - only scammers selling "protection" devices claim otherwise).

Writable DVDs or CDs can degrade in normal daylight as the UV content of sunlight can gradually "bleach" the dye layers that store information.

The commonest reason for USB or SD memory to fail is fake devices - a large percentage sold on such as ebay are fakes, small capacity ones with the numeric size edited to make them appear much larger. They work until the real capacity has been filled, then give errors or stop doing anything.

[Putting a mass produced CD (which has an aluminium inner layer) in a microwave oven will make the aluminium layer arc and burn, just like putting a piece of loose foil in it. Outside of that, a disc is no more affected by normal RF levels than anything else].

Like a few other people on here, I'm a licensed radio amateur and at times have used very high RF power levels. Nothing has ever affected any memory devices or discs; it just does not happen.

Waves of WIFI or Bluetooth circulating in a room can erase data written on DVD discs and memory flash of sd cards? Discs CD/DVD/MDISC and cards located same room of waves
Yes you are absolutely correct.
Its called induction heating. But i bet your wifi is not strong enough.

It's not strong enough by a factor of thousands - at WiFi / Bluetooth power levels the answer is a definitive NO.
It would be interesting to watch a person who has screws in his leg as his legs heat up = D
wireless car charging in your garage....

Last edited:
It would be interesting to watch a person who has screws in his leg as his legs heat up = D
wireless car charging in your garage....

As wireless charging is inefficient (and incredibly short range), I doubt that's ever going to happen.

Considering it's all about increased efficiency and lower emissions a charging system that wastes most of the power isn't likely :D

As wireless charging is inefficient (and incredibly short range), I doubt that's ever going to happen.

Considering it's all about increased efficiency and lower emissions a charging system that wastes most of the power isn't likely :D
I bet in future will no one care about efficiency.

We are still not done yet. The story is still running =).

Well nuclear power was supposed to be so cheap you wouldn't be charged for it - how well did that work? :D

It doesn't matter what they do, or how they do it, energy will continue to get more and more expensive - certainly within the lifetime of anyone on here, and I'm doubtful if it will ever change.

Well nuclear power was supposed to be so cheap you wouldn't be charged for it - how well did that work? :D

It doesn't matter what they do, or how they do it, energy will continue to get more and more expensive - certainly within the lifetime of anyone on here, and I'm doubtful if it will ever change.
What will happen if energy will be almost free? How much wil it ruin goverments across world?
I think that time will once come. But probably not in my life. I was thinking about cloning nikola tesla does anyone know how can i get his DNA? Where his grave is located? =D
just kidding

What will happen if energy will be almost free? How much wil it ruin goverments across world?
I think that time will once come. But probably not in my life. I was thinking about cloning nikola tesla does anyone know how can i get his DNA? Where his grave is located? =D
just kidding

Why would it affect governments? - even if the power is almost free to produce, the distribution, metering, repairs and profits all cost money - I doubt we'll ever see a serious dip in prices, more likely a steady climb.

Tesla did some amazing stuff, but he did an utter load of crap as well - supposedly 'free power' was one of his crazy ideas, he couldn't make it work (obviously), one of his many loony ideas. There seems this 'hero worship' for Tesla, I've never understood why? - be interesting to know what percentage of his inventions, patents and ideas actually ever worked. I suspect he would have far fewer patents if he lived in modern times, as back then you could get patents for pretty well anything.

I think Tesla's approach was a 'shotgun' method - do so much, some of it is bound to work :D

so waves of wifi and bluetoth do not erase data from CD / DVD / MDISC and flash memory?
as said above they do but actually not...
You would need so much powerfull router that will induce eddy currents in it

Why would it affect governments? - even if the power is almost free to produce, the distribution, metering, repairs and profits all cost money - I doubt we'll ever see a serious dip in prices, more likely a steady climb.

Tesla did some amazing stuff, but he did an utter load of crap as well - supposedly 'free power' was one of his crazy ideas, he couldn't make it work (obviously), one of his many loony ideas. There seems this 'hero worship' for Tesla, I've never understood why? - be interesting to know what percentage of his inventions, patents and ideas actually ever worked. I suspect he would have far fewer patents if he lived in modern times, as back then you could get patents for pretty well anything.

I think Tesla's approach was a 'shotgun' method - do so much, some of it is bound to work :D
I am actually big fan of NT. Maybe i am a fool but i have no trust in tesla patents. I dont believe they are original ones.

You would need so much powerfull router that will induce eddy currents in it
Sorry, but you are just being daft and confusing the subject. There is enough conspiracy nonsense about RF without that.

In the context of the question, it cannot happen. It take massively higher power levels, orders of magnitude more, than any consumer electronics radiates.

Sorry, but you are just being daft and confusing the subject. There is enough conspiracy nonsense about RF without that.

In the context of the question, it cannot happen. It take massively higher power levels, orders of magnitude more, than any consumer electronics radiates.
ok my apologize.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back