Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question: LED lights 2 amp fuse instead of 2.5 amp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sohail_ahmad

Hi Everyone

Hope you can help, i've recently bought some LED fairy lights which had a Type C 2.5A fused moulded plug (2 prong Euro). I replaced the plug with a Type G 3 prong UK plug, i couldn't find a 2.5A fuse so instead i used a 2A fuse. I also extended it using a 2 core cable (added on to the existing cable soldered to the controller box). The newer cable was a lot thicker than the original, i'm not sure what ohms it is.

So my question..is it ok to use the 2A fuse even though it came with a 2.5A moulded plug? Is it ok to connect different thicknesses of cable together?

I have noticed that the LED's do get a little warm around the base connectors, i'm not sure if that's normal as i didn't test them in that way when they had the original plug, i though LED's ran cold.

thanks in advance for any replies.

Replacing a 2.5 A fuse with a 2.0 A fuse should not change anything. It simply means the fuse will open with current exceeding 2 amps rather than 2.5 amps. If the original power cord was 2 wire and you added 2 wire but of a thicker gauge that should be fine also. You just don't want to go to a lighter (thinner) gauge of wire. LEDs can run a little warm. Since we don't know exactly what they are as to their data sheet there is no easy way to say they are fine but I can't see how the changes you did would effect the LEDs.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back