Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question in Resonant Frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.
sbarro,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that, if the resistor value is zero (no dissipation), all the above definitions would amount to the same thing.

Of course, but that is not saying anything profound or useful. Resistance is with us everywhere in the real world except for superconductivity. It affects the Q of the circuit, and to a lessor degree its frequency.

Ratch

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that, if the resistor value is zero (no dissipation), all the above definitions would amount to the same thing.

Best regards,
Tom

Hello there,

Well, stating what would happen if the resistor were zero isnt very interesting at all. It's like saying what happens if the circuit is completely shorted out...who really cares about that.

I think maybe what you meant to talk about was what happens if the resistance goes to infinity (ie an open circuit) in which case all of the above formulas degenerate to the same as F1 which again is:
F1=1/(2*pi*sqrt(L*C))

and of course that is for a theoretical circuit with pure inductance and pure capacitance.

F1 can be derived from the other formulas by taking the limit as R approaches infinity and that's a good sanity check for the other formulas for a quick check for errors in the formulations.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back