Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question about Voltage Interface

Status
Not open for further replies.

Space Varmint

Hi, I'm looking for some good suggestions on doing a voltage interface. I really need it to be hyper responsive.

Here is the scheme: I will be running a complete system off of one 6 volts DC supply. There is a DC2DC converter on board. It will produce 150 volts DC but uses a different ground. I need an interface that uses a variable voltage produced from a 6 volt device to vary the 150 volts. What would be the simplest approach to this? Maybe some sort of differential amplifier arrangement? I'm not sure where to begin.

How about varying the voltage the DC2DC converter gets? Their rated output is based on their input voltage. It would generally be easier to regulate the 6 volts supply via a linear regulator to control the output. Alternately you could just use a bleeder resistor on the 150volt line to it's ground such as a POT. You need to provide more specs like current requirements and your exact reasons for trying to regulate the voltage before any real suggestions can be made.

How about varying the voltage the DC2DC converter gets? Their rated output is based on their input voltage. It would generally be easier to regulate the 6 volts supply via a linear regulator to control the output. Alternately you could just use a bleeder resistor on the 150volt line to it's ground such as a POT. You need to provide more specs like current requirements and your exact reasons for trying to regulate the voltage before any real suggestions can be made.

Thanks for reply Sceadwian. Yes what I am trying to do is use the output of a phase detector which uses a 6 volts supply through the interface to a varactor diode. I thought about changing the input of the DC2DC converter but could get vary cumbersome because I want the input to the varactor to only respond to the phase detector. I would like for it to be fully automated where the phase detector can swing a good portion of the 150 volts. I don't expect all of it.

By God I just thought of something!!! An Opto-isolator. Yeah that might be the ticket!

Last edited:
How about varying the voltage the DC2DC converter gets? Their rated output is based on their input voltage.
That depends on whether it's a regulated DC-DC converter; if it is then the ouput voltage will stay the same and it'll draw more input current until it shuts down.

What output current do you require?

Does it need to be isolated?

Last edited:
That depends on whether it's a regulated DC-DC converter; if it is then the ouput voltage will stay the same and it'll draw more input current until it shuts down.

What output current do you require?

Does it need to be isolated?

No it will be unregulated. The current requirement is quite small. On the order a few milliamps but the DC-DC circuit will provide ample current, Enough to burn you. It will be part of a feedback loop. It's still in the drafting stage right now but I want to use it in a PLL loop. So I'm hoping the phase detector through a DC amp will control the level of the DC-DC converter though an opto-isolator. I did a circuit like that once before where I had to drive a 48 volt relay, but of course it was non linear. I did have to drive a separate power transistor with the output of opto-isolator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back