Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

question about sound and hertz???

Status
Not open for further replies.

mxsixmike

is there a certain hertz or sound that if you make it everything will be silent like you can hear your self or other when talking i am not talking about something really loud i was thinking of something pretty unoticable today i was sitting down and something in a truck right before it started mad like a really high pitch sound almost unoticeable and it made everything quiet i could barely hear does any one know how you can acheive this and possibly have schematics or a chip board lay out thanks mike

What you observed is possibly the same phenomenon I get sometimes from the TV. A high pitched sound at the upper limit of hearing gets the ear confused by trying to listen hard at that frequency and other, lower frequency, sounds get partially ignored.
At least that's my theory, maybe the boffins have a better explanation.
I very much doubt that one could do that deliberatly without some damage to the ear. I mean, who wants to listen to a high pitched noise in order to miss out on the low pitched noises?

You can however, to some extend, cancel noise by wearing a headphone where the sound you want to hear comes from one source and all unwanted noise is picked up by a second microphone and is fed to the headphone 180 degrees out of phase. The sort of head sets chopper pilots wear to cut the engine noise.
Not a good idea on the road as you need to hear the siren of the ambulance behind you, trying to pass.
Klaus

Are you the only person who heard this 'sound'?
You could have a neurological disorder called tintinitis.
This is a constant ringing in your ears that distorts normal sounds.
Frequencies above 2 khz are blocked.
It is un-correctable, cumulative & irreversible.
I don't think I would try and induce it.

i am hearing impair that probably is why but i was wondering if there is a way to create this sound so that the normal hearing person will be blocked out is there any way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back