Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question about producing 24 volts form 12 volt PS

Status
Not open for further replies.

mamech

Hello Everyone

How I can produce 24 volts from a computer power supply that has 12 and -12 volts ?

Sorry my question may look like trivial.

I am not sure. I need the 24 volts to operate an SR2 B201BD smart relay. It is written on it :
Power:
24VDC 6W

Output rely:
24VDC 8A
240VDC 8A

With a power requirement of 24 V and 6 Watts it doesn't require much current. However, I would go with a 24 VDC supply referenced to ground as I would worry about the DIO. The DI is designed for 24 VDC inputs and they should (I believe) share the power common. I would find a DIN Rail mounted 24 VDC single ended supply for it. Not saying the split won't work, only that I would not do it personally.

Ron

Last edited:
Plan "A":

Buy 2 of these:

**broken link removed**

Wire their inputs in parallel and connect to your +12 volt high amp source.
Wire their outputs in series to give you 30 volts at 1 amp.
Your solenoid consumes 6 watts, this is 0.25 amps at 24 volts.
Sticking a dropping resistor in series with the solenoid to eat that extra 6 volts you have:
R = E/I = (30-24)/0.25 = 6/0.25 = 24 ohms.
It dissipates P = EI power = 6*0.25 = 1.5 watts. To keep it cool derate that wattage by a factor of 2.5 or 3. You'll need a 24 ohm, 5 watt resistor. This is from the same place that sells the converters and will work great for this:

**broken link removed**

Be sure to stick a commutating (or freewheeling, or back emf) diode like a 1N400x across the coil to eat the coil's spike when it shuts off.

Plan"B":

If the - 12 volt power supply you have can supply that 0.25 amps (+ 12 supply is usually good for beaucoup amps) AND the + and - share the same common, then just wire your solenoid to the + output and to the - output.
Don't forget the diode.

Last edited:
Solenoid? What solenoid? :confused:

I thought he had one of these units. Did I miss something.... Again? :)

Ron

Last edited:
@Reloadron:

There are no solenoids. It is a (small) plc device, called smart relay as you said.

I am aware of that. It should be the device I linked to in my later post. I was wondering where Jaguarjoe came up with a solenoid. :confused:

Anyway, because of the reasons I mentioned I would use a single ended 24 VDC supply as I mentioned and not use the split supply. Pretty much as I mentioned, based on what you have.

There is no diode or need for a diode. The diode would have been used if there was a solenoid. Don't worry about it. Just some minor, humorous confusion. :)

Ron

Last edited:
I was wondering where Jaguarjoe came up with a solenoid. :confused:

Just some minor, humorous confusion. :)

Ron

Well, its like my old friend Roseanne Rosannadanna used to say, "Nevermind!"

Kinda like when you wake up after a hard night at the bar and you look over and say, "Where did that come from?"

Well, its like my old friend Roseanne Rosannadanna used to say, "Nevermind!"

Kinda like when you wake up after a hard night at the bar and you look over and say, "Where did that come from?"

Been there and done that. :)

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back