Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question about Inchworm+

Status
Not open for further replies.
How can I get it to program?

What do I need in a complete list...

I am so confused :confused:

Quan said:
I still cant get it...
Every XP box has two types of users. Ones with admin permissions and ones without. If you do not have admin permission the you need to ask a user who does (or log in as one that does) and uncheck the "use FIFO" box.

If this does not help then you need to be more specific about what is going on.

Quan said:
How can I get it to program?

What do I need in a complete list...

I am so confused :confused:

As is this post. Is the FIFO box unchecked as it should be. If not do not expect it to work.

If it is please post the contents of the BUILD and the MPLAB ICD2 windows. The first is needed to ensure you have built the program correctly. The second will tell us what is going on with the ICD2.

Remember that if it was easy...

Are there 9pin to usb adapters...

I still cant even open the advanced window box...

Quan said:
Are there 9pin to usb adapters...

I still cant even open the advanced window box...

Yes but that is another can of worms. Not all maybe only a few work correctly with an ICD2.

Better to solve the simple problem of unchecking a check mark. Let me create a non admin user and see if I see what you are seeing. Just a few minutes.

IT says:

You must have write priviliges in the registry for this device in order to modify the devices advanced settings.

Hope that helps...

I created a user without admin permissions. I get the attached msg box which does not match what you are seeing although they may amount to the same thing.

If you have an admin (not limited) login you should not be seeing anything like your msg or mine.

Do you have an admin/unlimited type login ?

Attachments

• msgbox.png
    msgbox.png
    13.8 KB · Views: 269
Yeah It says computer administrator.

I dont know what to do. I am so frustrated.

So why isnt it working?

How can I get around this? There seems no other way...

If you were not an admin it would look like the attachment.

This is windows XP problem.

Do you have some sort of anti-virus/spyware software that may be protecting the registry? If you have anything of the sort disconnect form the internet then turn it all (anti-software) off and see if you can make the change. It is windoze so you may have to reboot. Be sure to turn it back on prior hooking back up to the internet.

You could try creating another admin user and see if that one will work. Doubtful but it is the only thing I can think of at this time.

The reason you need the FIFO buffer turned off is that when enabled it allows XP to bunch up a lot of info prior to sending it. That is OK for some apps but not anything as real time as a programmer/debugger.

If I can think of anything else I will post again. Maybe another person knows what is going on. I tolerate XP.

Attachments

• LimitedUser.jpg
    LimitedUser.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 173
I googled and found some info but it only seems to apply to
Microsoft Windows XP Embedded SP2

But it goes like this:

Device Manager

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]When you open the COM port properties in Device Manager, and then click Advanced on the Port Settings tab, you may receive the following error message:[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]You must have write privileges in the registry for this device in order to modify the devices advanced settings.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]This behavior occurs because there are three missing registry subkeys from the following registry key:[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New, monospace]HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\enum\acpi\pnp0501\2[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The missing keys are:[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]RxFIFO[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]TxFIFO[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]ForceFifoEnable [/FONT]

If you choose to mess with the registry be sure to back it up first.

Will do a bit more checking to see if I can find this for HOME or PRO. Which are you using ?

This seems like a better bet:

"Group Policy" editor.

Try it this way:
Go to Start\Run: Type in: gpedit.msc

This will open GP editor.. in the left pane, look in User Configuration \ Administrative Templates \ System\...

In the right pane, look for the key "Prevent access to registry editing tools"

Make sure it's set to "Not Configured"
(If you need to alter it, double click the key and select the appropriate setting).

If this doesn't work, then I suggest you post a HijackThis log in the "Applications and Security" forum so one of the guys there to see what the problem might be regarding possible malware etc.

Good luck....**broken link removed**

Edit: Just tried the above on my machine...if I enable the key, I get exactly the same "Registry editing has been disabled by your administrator" message when trying to run regedit. Set it to "Not Configured" ...and bingo..regedit works ok.
(I use XP Pro by the way)..

no, It still isnt working...

WHY!!!

I cant even open gpedit.msc...

It Works On My Other Computer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Quan said:
no, It still isnt working...

WHY!!!

I cant even open gpedit.msc...

Why do you expect it to work you still have not fixed the problem with XP??

OK I followed the instructions. You run gpedit.msc
That is you cllick on run from the start menu then type in gpedit.msc
Not sure how how tried to open it. Maybe you got it right but could not tell from your post.

I see that you are having better luck on another computer. Chances are you will hit another snag. Just be cool about it... please :D

If you choose to go on to be an engineer or scientist you will run into things that do not work on a daily (some times seems hourly) basis. The drama just eats up time and raises the blood pressue.

My other computer has about 1 gig of total software and no internet, so it is a perfect canidate for C programming :D

I am going to program upstairs, because I have had way better chances upstairs. :)

Ok I have everything working, but I am recieving this error over and over:

Code:
Clean: Deleting intermediary and output files.
Clean: Deleted file "C:\Documents and Settings\user\My Documents\MPLABIDE\Hello World.asm.mcs".
Clean: Done.
Executing: "C:\Program Files\Microchip\MPASM Suite\MPAsmWin.exe" /q /p16F628A "Hello World.asm" /l"Hello World.lst" /e"Hello World.err"
Error[105]   C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\USER\MY DOCUMENTS\MPLABIDE\HELLO WORLD.ASM 3 : Cannot open file (Include File "p 16F628A.inc" not found)
Error[111]   C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\USER\MY DOCUMENTS\MPLABIDE\HELLO WORLD.ASM 4 : Missing symbol
Error[113]   C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\USER\MY DOCUMENTS\MPLABIDE\HELLO WORLD.ASM 6 : Symbol not previously defined (STATUS)
Error[113]   C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\USER\MY DOCUMENTS\MPLABIDE\HELLO WORLD.ASM 6 : Symbol not previously defined (RP0)
Error[113]   C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\USER\MY DOCUMENTS\MPLABIDE\HELLO WORLD.ASM 8 : Symbol not previously defined (OPTION_REG)
Error[113]   C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\USER\MY DOCUMENTS\MPLABIDE\HELLO WORLD.ASM 10 : Symbol not previously defined (TRISB)
Error[113]   C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\USER\MY DOCUMENTS\MPLABIDE\HELLO WORLD.ASM 11 : Symbol not previously defined (STATUS)
Error[113]   C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\USER\MY DOCUMENTS\MPLABIDE\HELLO WORLD.ASM 11 : Symbol not previously defined (RP0)
Error[113]   C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\USER\MY DOCUMENTS\MPLABIDE\HELLO WORLD.ASM 12 : Symbol not previously defined (PORTB)
Error[173]   C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\USER\MY DOCUMENTS\MPLABIDE\HELLO WORLD.ASM 15 : Source file path exceeds 62 characters (C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\USER\MY DOCUMENTS\MPLABIDE\HELLO WORLD.ASM)
Halting build on first failure as requested.
BUILD FAILED: Wed Oct 03 21:56:05 2007

What should I do?

Well, I made good progress today...

1. Hooked up my HP laserjet 4 that I got for free (they have 3 others that I can have)

2. Connected Inchworm+ up to my other computer

3. Disabled FIFO buffers

4. Other little tasks.

Cant wait until tomorrow to see where I get :)

Line by line

It is about to remove files from any previous build
Clean: Deleting intermediary and output files.
Clean: Deleted file "C:\Documents and Settings\user\My Documents\MPLABIDE\Hello World.asm.mcs".
Clean: Done.
It is about to assemble "Hello World.asm"
for the p16F628A
the list file is "Hello World.lst"
errors go to file "Hello World.err"

Executing: "C:\Program Files\Microchip\MPASM Suite\MPAsmWin.exe" /q /p16F628A "Hello World.asm" /l"Hello World.lst" /e"Hello World.err"

It failed because it could not find the include file "p 16F628A.inc"
Error[105] C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\USER\MY DOCUMENTS\MPLABIDE\HELLO WORLD.ASM 3 : Cannot open file (Include File "p 16F628A.inc" not found)

From Bill's Poster the 16F628A code
Code:
;*** WDT reset toggles RB0
  list p=16F628A
  include <p16F628A.inc>
  __CONFIG 0x3F34

Good bet you have
include <p 16F628A.inc>

You need to pay close attention. :D
Computers do EXACTLY what you tell them.
If you screw up by one space they crap out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back