Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question about DPST switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karin

hello, noobie alert...

I have a (used) allen bradley 600-tax5 dpst switch I want to use with my (very old) drill press and want to make certain I am wiring correctly. There are two poles marked L1/T1 and L2/T2. On the 1-pole there is an interrupt bridged by a wire, which I assume is to create lag in one of the poles while switching...

Can anyone tell me which line should go through the 1-pole? The neutral or the live?

Also, I am also assuming the "L" is for supply line, so i will be attaching the power cord at that end... Just out of curiosity what does "T" stand for?

Thank you!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    37.4 KB · Views: 142
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    37.5 KB · Views: 125
That is actually a thermal cutout, not a delay. Line to L, T to the motor. Are you running it on 240V?

No, it's a 110 1/4 hp motor... U.S. household current, so 120? So, is the thermal cutout for the hot wire?
Forgive my ignorance...

Last edited:
I realize this switch is probably overkill for my dp, but it's what I have, and it was inexpensive. I could go to the Depot and just get a single-pole switch....

Last edited:
Another question... if this is a thermal cutout, does that mean the wire needs to be replaced after a thermal overload? is it like a fuse?

Thank you.

Another question... if this is a thermal cutout, does that mean the wire needs to be replaced after a thermal overload? is it like a fuse?
No, the spiral is a heater. The heater is changed based on the expected running current of the motor being protected. Likely, the heater is for a bigger motor than your DP, so it will not actually offer any protection, but should work as a toggle switch. Wire the Black wire to the pole with the heater, and run the White wire to the other pole.

Okay. I see where there is a note inside the housing that indicates amp/fuse ratings for overcurrent protection... I guess I won't be worrying about that.

Thank you very much for your assistance.
k.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back