Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question about a small motorized ashtray panel....

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbie7

Anybody out there in electronics land know of any parts or anybody making a car ashtray a motorized panel, like the car stereo faces or flat screen car tvs? I have some ideas, but not sure of the parts or where to get started.

Thanks, Matt

Hey Newbie7

Are you looking to have this panel motorized as you say? For instance, are you going to use a motor and such to drive the physical movement? Or are you going to use springs and gears?

A good starting point would be to check out some of the already manufactured units. The flat screen displays etc. See how they work, and check out how the manufacturer has rigged the panel.

Another question to ask yourself, how much weight are you talking about lifting, lowering, our sliding in and out of the ashtray? This could be a factor when considering how much torque you may need to lift, slide, or lower the device.

Finally, what type of control are you looking for? Are you going to want the motor only to run, when you hold a button down? Or are you wanting the device to operate at the single push of a button, then stop at a predetermined distance. Using a motor for the first option, would be pretty simple, with the physical systems aside. Using a motor for the second option may become complicated, using a controller and light gates etc.

I suppose we need more information to give you specifics. Rule of thumb, check out what has already been made by someone else. There's good reasons behind their design. From there, you can tailor to your needs.

Good lucK!

Good post!!

I guess now its time to answer some questions :)

Its a small little ashtray, but i should just call it a flat panel, made out of plastic and is about 3 inches wide by 6 inches long approx. It sits in the center console further back behind in the shifter. I was wanting it to simply open up, towards the driver, with a push of a button. Push the button and it opens all the way up until it stops. Push it again, and it closes... this can be on a rocker switch, etc.... just a basic open/close type of circuit. Not sure of the type, like springs, drive gears, etc. I think it would have to be hinged on one side. Nobody has done this to this car, yet, and i wanted to be the first to make something really neat. It probably will only way about 4 oz or so, very light indeed. I dont really know anything about this kind of stuff, but i do have a vision.... sometimes thats enough...hehe. You seem knowledgeable, so any information would be greatly appreciated!!!
P.S. I can attach a picture, but not real sure how to do it on this forum....

Thanks, Matt

Good post!!

I guess now its time to answer some questions :)

Its a small little ashtray, but i should just call it a flat panel, made out of plastic and is about 3 inches wide by 6 inches long approx. It sits in the center console further back behind in the shifter. I was wanting it to simply open up, towards the driver, with a push of a button. Push the button and it opens all the way up until it stops. Push it again, and it closes... this can be on a rocker switch, etc.... just a basic open/close type of circuit. Not sure of the type, like springs, drive gears, etc. I think it would have to be hinged on one side. Nobody has done this to this car, yet, and i wanted to be the first to make something really neat. It probably will only way about 4 oz or so, very light indeed. I dont really know anything about this kind of stuff, but i do have a vision.... sometimes thats enough...hehe. You seem knowledgeable, so any information would be greatly appreciated!!!
P.S. I can attach a picture, but not real sure how to do it on this forum....

Thanks, Matt

Attachments

• ashtray_motor_example_copy.jpg
    ashtray_motor_example_copy.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 353
i would have thought a mechanical contrivance
that opens gracefully, and you push it shut,
like on some cassette tape units would be easier.

John :)

I thought about that as well, and that would probably work too.. any ideas on where to get that type of device?

Thanks, Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back