Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Quartz Crystal Piezoelectric physics

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've looked around google and searched the forum (I hope I searched it thoroughly enough and won't be flamed to shame), but I can't find an answer to this: How does a crystal react to electricity? There are many circuits for oscillation with crystals, but why exactly does a crystal lend itself to frequency and oscillation? Any help would be greatly appreciated

ArtemisGoldfish said:
I've looked around google and searched the forum (I hope I searched it thoroughly enough and won't be flamed to shame), but I can't find an answer to this: How does a crystal react to electricity? There are many circuits for oscillation with crystals, but why exactly does a crystal lend itself to frequency and oscillation? Any help would be greatly appreciated

It's called the piezoelectric effect. If a crystal is stimulated with an electrical charge it will mechanically resonate at a specific frequency, also conversely if the crystal is mechanically stressed it will create an electrical charge.

Here is a start to further research you might take:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piezoelectricity#Materials

Lefty

Leftyretro said:
It's called the piezoelectric effect. If a crystal is stimulated with an electrical charge it will mechanically resonate at a specific frequency, also conversely if the crystal is mechanically stressed it will create an electrical charge.

Here is a start to further research you might take:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piezoelectricity#Materials

Lefty

Okay, but what about this can you use to create oscillation?

ArtemisGoldfish said:
Okay, but what about this can you use to create oscillation?
The conditions for oscillation are gain, feedback, and phase shift. You can certainly create oscillators without a crystal. What the crystal does is to enhance certain frequencies and attenuate others. It is precisely the frequencies at the mechanical resonance of the crystal which are enhanced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back