Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple highschool physics - Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

magician13134

I have a test tomorrow, my teacher won't be there, so I can't go in early, but I cannot get this problem to work. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it greatly:

On average, the Earth and Moon have their centers 3.84E5km away. What is the mass of the Moon if the force of gravity between them is 1.99E20N?
Earth's mass = 5.97E24kg
Earth's radius = 6.37E6m

Answer: 7.35E22kg

The formulas are:
F = G (M1M2)/d^2
g = G(m/d^2)

Any ideas? Thanks

Sure. Use a bit of Algebra and solve for the missing quantity, the mass of the moon.

If you divede F by d^2 then you have G times M1 times M2. Continue the process until you have the expression the way you need it with the unknown quantity all by itself on one side of the equal sign and everything else, whose values you know, on the other side. When you get the answer, remember to substitute it back into the original equation to check your arithmetic or I guess calculator work. Lot easier then doing it with a slide rule or pencil and paper.

magician13134 said:
Thanks, it was a calculator mistake, though. Not enough parenthesis.

Oops.
An RPN calculator will eliminate that as a source of error. ;)

Roff said:
An RPN calculator will eliminate that as a source of error. ;)

LOL! That looks REALLY complicated! Anyway, I got a 97% on the test! :D

Thanks guys (I may need to buy an RPN calculator on eBay, just for fun!)

magician13134 said:
LOL! That looks REALLY complicated! Anyway, I got a 97% on the test! :D

Thanks guys (I may need to buy an RPN calculator on eBay, just for fun!)

It's like Marmite, you either love it or hate it!.

It might cure the brackets problems, but it introduces plenty of other ones! - essentially it's FAR easier to write the software for an RPN calculator than a conventional one, which is why the first scientific calculators tended to be RPN.

I prefer RPN, I find it easier than the algebraic types.

My first cal was algebraic but then I was given a RPN and found it much easier to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back