Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Quartz Analogue Clock from 80's model car

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zarniwoop

G'day all,

Recently the quartz clock in my car ceased to tick, or tock for that matter. I pulled it apart and cant see any obvious problems with the circuit.

It is made by Kienzle of Germany. It has an IC in there, markings on it are :

HBI04728AE

There is also a large coil which runs the full length of the clock, I assume this drives the mechanism for the hands. This is connected to the PCB via two small posts, which must be de-soldered to remove the PCB from the rest of the clock. It should become obvious how this is assembled after viewing the pictures

Photos are included for your viewing pleasure.

I would like to know how to diagnose and pissibly fix whatever the problem is, since these clocks are frightfully expensive to purchase.

Cheers!
Grant

**broken link removed**
Coil

**broken link removed**
Bottom

**broken link removed**

This type of stepper motor run with polarity change in each sec. the rotor is a small magnet. Check the coil continuity with ohmmeter, the output with two antiparalel LED-s, the crystal with oscilloscope. I don't think the IC is bad.

Thanks for that Sebi, It looks as though the coil is to blame. Any suggestions on how to fix it? Is this a standard size coil which I could hope to purchase or make? Or am I all out of luck?

The coil appears to be connected to only one post, the other post is not electrically connected to anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back