Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PWM - LED fade out!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beth

Hi there

I am hoping someone may be able to offer some advice in regards to PWM.

I was wondering if it is possible to use PWM to fade out an LED. I am using a PIC16F628 and require an LED to turn on, and after 6 minutes or so gradually fade out until fully off. Is PWM modulation the best method for achieving this? Or is there a simpler alternative?

Cheers all :D

Beth said:
Hi there

I am hoping someone may be able to offer some advice in regards to PWM.

I was wondering if it is possible to use PWM to fade out an LED. I am using a PIC16F628 and require an LED to turn on, and after 6 minutes or so gradually fade out until fully off. Is PWM modulation the best method for achieving this? Or is there a simpler alternative?

I think that would be the simplest way of doing it, the 628 is an ideal choice - cheap, eeprom technology, internal 4MHz oscillator, one channel of 10 bit hardware PWM. It will do everything you require with almost no other hardware required - a resistor to feed the LED, and perhaps a transistor as well - depending on the current you require for the LED.

All you need to do for the fadeout is gradually reduce the PWM ratio, reducing it by one every 3.5 seconds or so will go from 100% to 0% over roughly 6 minutes. I believe that the light output from LED's isn't linear, so it won't fade in a linear fashion - but presumably it won't matter for your application.

PWM with LEDs is fine, most LEDs give a nice good-enough-to-be-linear response to it, but we as humans see light levels log.

As such your 10bit PWM, will only give you 10 clear log states without rounding errors.
(ie 0000 0001, 0000 0010 0000 0100 and so forth).

But in my experaince (way to much with playing with LEDs) i find you can get a good 45 states out of that without it looking jerky.

Linear PWM

I've found that using a power law algorithm works pretty decent at improving the non-linear light the led puts out when using PWM.

Something like this:

Duty = 255

START

PWM Output Duty to Pin

Duty = Duty * 6 / 7

GOTO START or UNTIL Duty < 0

------------------------------------------
And to have it fade slower:

Duty = 1024

START

PWM Output Duty to Pin

Duty = (Duty * 6 / 7) / 4

--------------------------------------

And to make it brighten:

Duty = 255

START

PWM Output Duty to Pin

Duty = 255 - (Duty * 6 / 7)

---------------------------------------------

And if your good enough with you PWM programming you can figure out the optimum current for the led and ensure your duty cycle never exceeds it so you probably won't even need a resistor but also keeping in mind the PIC pins are rated somewhere in the 20ma - 25ma range and the whole chip has a max as well, you can find that data in the PIC datasheet.

R.

Thank you

Hello :D

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm putting together the code at the mo. Hopefully I will get it to work!

Cheers x

asm code

Uhm.. I wanted to try the same, only to fade a led in, in about a sec (or two) I made this code, but it doesn't seem to work: (i'm a kinde newbee, but i really want to use asm)
Code:
		PROCESSOR 16F819
		#include "p16f819.inc"
		__config	0x3f14

ORG	0x00
		goto		Main
		ORG	0x04
		goto		Main

Main	banksel	CCP1CON
		clrf		CCP1CON				;everything zero
		bsf		CCP1CON, CCP1M3		;set register
		bsf		CCP1CON, CCP1M2		;on pwm