Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PWM drives- sets my pulse high !

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreamproject

Hi all,

I am planning to use an LM629 to drive a DC motor . Data sheets . Since this IC is to cost me 40 $ , I would appreciate if you could clear up some doubts before I invest so must money. Application example figure 16 , page 23 shows a typical PWM circuit . Can this circuit be used for any DC motor voltage / rating [automobile wiper motor] . Are any modifications necessary.

0. I am not able to understand the instructions (number of inputs) required for motor control .

1. Suppose my input was through a pot, where must this data be input ?

2. My pot's centre voltage (~2.5v) , must provide no deflection of the motor shaft . Moving the pot to the left or right moves the shaft propotionately either direction . (Must the computer process the input to provide the output data ?)

3. If I am to interface this IC to a PC's parallel port , are the number of data lines sufficient ?

4. Can the circuit be modified for continuous monitoring (with minimal inputs from PC) ? ,i.e tying CS,RD - to respective voltage levels.

5. Is this a programmable IC ? (I do not understand the instruction set part, Are these input through the data lines ?)

6 . Beyond the PWM output stage , what other circuits are required to drive a DC motor? (If I'm not able to acquire LM18298 IC)

7. Will this work with home-made encoders ?. (tips on how to make one -please )

8. Can an intermediate IC (between PC and the LM629) be used to buffer / generate outputs and inputs , possibly a micro-controller (any suggestions ?)

9. Any ideas / circuits to the above effect would be accepted with immense gratitude ,

Thanks

Hi Dream,
That's a very complex IC just to control a motor. I think you will get more high pulses when you are writing its computer program.
1) and 2) Your input pot must be translated by an A to D converter to be read by your computer.
6) The LM18298 full-bridge driver IC is discontinued (obsolete), usually operates with a 42V supply, delivers only 2A output and has a max output voltage loss of 4.9V. Search Google for an H-bridge circuit or IC that meets your motor's requirements.
7) The encremental encoder is a mechanical or optical thingy with quadrature and pulse outputs. Will you DIY?

oh my

Oh my Gosh , I just purchased it for 35$-(1850 INR) , Am i dead , Is it not possible to make an encoder. Please do help .

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back