Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Putting the PICture in the PIC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wond3rboy

Hi, i know this is not a technical question but i was just wondering what does the PIC in PIC micros stand for? I bet others have thought about it too...

This is answer worthy of adding to the sticky ;)

I believe it is for Programmable Interface Controller.

Mike.

Last edited:
I recall reading it somewhere that it initially meant "Peripheral Interface Controller" then "Programmable Interface Controller" but now Microchip says its just a name. no specific meaning.
Sorry cant recall where I read it.

There have been various suggestions over the years (including those above), but MicroChip have always stated it doesn't stand for anything - however, they were called PIC's before MicroChip existed :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back