Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

push button controller???

Status
Not open for further replies.

jo_

Hi everyone,

I would like to start by saying that I am quite new to electronics, I can rewire houses,factories,etc as I am an electrician, but electronics are weird,lol. I have been browsing the forum for sometime now and learned quite a bit but I have become stuck.

What I am trying to do is have a momentry push button, so when i press it

once - circuit 1 energises
twice- circuit 1+2 energises
third- circuit 1+2+3 energises
fourth- all off.

I have tried to use 4017 with a deboucing switch, it works but its not reliable enough everytime, also at one point I am going to need to remove the push button and operate the circuit via a servo switch, on my radio control cars TX. The circuit is going to be,

1, sidelights
2, headlights
3, mainbeam
4, off

I thank you all for reading and hope you can help me out.

THANX

using a 4017 is not a bad idea, you may need to have noise free input. did you try anything like using smith trigger? or monostable miltivibrator to give the pulse? what were the problems you encounted during this?

Hi everyone,

What I am trying to do is have a momentry push button, so when i press it

once - circuit 1 energises
twice- circuit 1+2 energises
third- circuit 1+2+3 energises
fourth- all off.

I have tried to use 4017 with a deboucing switch, it works but its not reliable enough everytime, also at one point I am going to need to remove the push button and operate the circuit via a servo switch, on my radio control cars TX. The circuit is going to be,

1, sidelights
2, headlights
3, mainbeam
4, off

I thank you all for reading and hope you can help me out.

THANX

hi,
A 4017 will only give one output pin high, one at a time, so its NOT suitable for 1 , 1+2, 1+2+3 operation.

Look at shift registers, eg: 4014, 4015, 4021....

Its required that mechanical push switches are debounced when being used as a clock.

Last edited:
eric,

If the OP diode-OR's the outputs, a 4017 will work. Circuit 1 OR'd to outpouts 0, 1, and 2. Circuit 2 OR'd of outputs 1 and 2. Circuit 3 wired directly to output 2. Output 3 resets to OFF.

He may need to work on a more active debounce solution as well as noise filtering to the power supply.

Ken

Hi guys,

The 4017 circuit was ok,ish but as you say the deboucer circuit was just not solid enough the diagram I followed can be seen here,

Handy dandy little circuit #34

but then when I took the push button out and connected it the servo switch, it turned out to be more like a random number generator, with just pot luck on which output circuit was going to energise.
As for the output circuits, then linked out with the OR gates as mentioned,
So shall I stick with the 4017 and hope you guys can help me with debouncer problem or try start again with a shift register.
Somebody has mention a 7474, but I couldn't make head or tail of that, and not even find a tidy circuit diagram for what I want it to do.

Thanks so far guys.

use a schmitt trigger before the input and it will work fine not to respond to any noises. you can use RC filter and trigger the schimitt trigger that will give pulse input to 4017. (monostable)

on the debouncing circuit you posted, still there is a way to improve, use a series resistor after the switch to give the voltage to base and increase the capacitor value depends on the ON time you get from servo switch.

Last edited:
Hi jo,

you might try out this circuit. It puts out a clean 50ms square wave pulse.

Boncuk

Attachments

• DEBOUNCE.gif
    DEBOUNCE.gif
    13.6 KB · Views: 174
jo,

Can you post a schematic of exactly what you have? Any idea what the output of the servo switch looks like? Do you have access to an oscilloscope?

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back