Purpose Of Desaturation Detector In IGBT Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexsgarage

I recently found a schematic for an IGBT driver, it has something called a desaturation detector connected to the collector of the transistor. This desaturation detector uses a voltage comparator. Can someone tell me what this circuit is used for and what benefit it has to the driver and IGBT.

It probably tries to keep the IGBT in quasi saturation so it can trade more efficient conduction for much higher switching frequency.

Maybe, It was connected to a voltage comparator whose reference voltage was set with a potentiometer. The output of the comparator went back to the oscillator to clamp the duty cycle in the event of a signal lasting longer than one half cycle of the oscillator. So I think it is to prevent damage to the IGBT in case of high collector voltages over a longer time than needed.

got a schematic or specs sheet so we all can look and ponder upon its function?

I found these.

http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet2/4/09okqcykp6hjt1yhtwccdekiqupy.pdf said:
4.5 Desaturation protection
Desaturation protection ensures the protection of the IGBT in the event of overcurrent.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…