Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Purpose of an external oscillator in powering up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorwegianFunk

Hey guys
I started programming the PIC18F46K20 QFP this fall, but was using a development board (the starter kit for said pic) - but that being said, I want to learn more about the hardware interfaces and build my own custom design on a breadboard. So I just purchased a DIP version of the same pic, and just all the necessary components I feel I may need - but forgot about the xTal.
- and it won't start. MPLab (using the Pickit2) tells me there is a Vpp voltage error.

My question is: Do I need an external Xtal just to get the pic up and running?
Or is this another problem? I am noticing that the VDD pins on the pic, once connected to the breadboard, load down the 3.3V rail that I created. Same with the pickit. Am I shorting something somewhere? I will provide a schematic if anyone needs it, but for now I really just want to know if an xtal is necessary.
thanks!

You have to let the PICkit change Vpp as it wants. It is normal to have a pull-up resistor on Vpp of about 10 kΩ.

It sounds like you have got Vpp connected directly to the power rails so that it can't be changed by the PICkit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back