Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pulse (One-Shot) Timer

Status
Not open for further replies.
You may want to place a RC Snubber across the relay contacts. The link is just an example of those commercially available, you can roll your own using a resistor and capacitor in series across the relay contacts. A Google of RC Snubber should get you all you need for your application. I would give a snubber a try.

Designing RC Snubber Networks

Ron

I like it. I read alittle about what a snubber is and it just may be the solution.

So the snubber would go across R2? I don't understand how it affects the circuit by simply passing through the contacts of R1!
R2 in the real life application is a 220VAC Contactors.

The snubber goes across the contacts handling the AC. The idea being to surpress (snub) the AC contact arc.

Ron

I was tired and headed for bed, AND MIS READ SCHEMATIC, POST DELETED

Last edited:
Hello guys,

I tired a PLC and a commercially bought pulse timer in place of the one I built and they both worked fine without a snubber, why were they able to do that and not the one I built?

Hello guys,

I tired a PLC and a commercially bought pulse timer in place of the one I built and they both worked fine without a snubber, why were they able to do that and not the one I built?
While the data sheet is informative less an actual schematic it is hard to guess what the commercial circuit has that your circuit doesn't. That leaves it open for guesses and speculation. :(

Ron

Hello everyone,

So I finally got back to this circuit again and trying to make it work for learning purpose as I already bought a commercial pulse timer to do what I wanted to.
I didn't buy nor make an RC snubber due to lack of time and knowledge but I needed a contactor and a surge suppressor for another application and had them at hand so I thought I would try them out but first a reminder of what the problem was.

The circuit as in the attachment works fantastic without R2 in it. Everything works as intended but when R2 is wired as in the attached drawing both relays oscillate On and Off for as long as switch S1 is closed and when it opens they oscillate a couple of times then turns off.

Now when I am using Sprecher+Schuh Contactor CA7-9E-10 with surge suppressor in CRV7 (in the same .pdf) place of R2 and it worked perfect so I figured the surge suppressor made the difference but to confirm that conclusion I removed the surge suppressor and to my surprise the circuit still worked perfect.
The question is why does the contactor work and not the relay, both are VDC?

And what's the difference between an RC snubber and a surge suppressor?

Thanks
Kal

Attachments

• 700-ha.pdf
    25.4 KB · Views: 191
  • 225.png
    225.png
    21.3 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips