Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pull Down resistor selection ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2camjohn

Im not sure whether i should post this in the microcontrollers section, either way Nigel Goodwin is gonna answer and thats all i really need :wink: :wink: :wink:

I have a PIC circuit which runs off a 9V battery to control a powerful motor.

I have two inputs which are both connected to the interrupt pin. One of the inputs is external and I am detecting the rising edge of this signal, the other is from a switch on the board with a weak pull down resistor.
They are connected to the same interrupt input using diodes.

The problem is when the battery is very low the switch will not go high enough to cause an interrupt.

The pull down resistor is 100k ohm.

Can I change the value of the pull down resistor to stop this from happening.

I am already using schotty diodes to reduce the voltage drop.

Cheers
John

insufficient pull down current at lower level voltages.

I would use a set of transistors and switch them off and on, that way current is more controllable. Can even go into using op-amps as comparators so when the battery hits a certain voltage it will switch to a different transistor set up for lower voltages, and at the coupling node to the input use two diodes to keep the other higher voltage transitor from leaking current. For sure the first transistor would be a common emitter NPN and the second might be a transistor and/or low power fet that needs a low to turn on.

It is up to you, but I figure being able to set the state of the circuit more actively would yield a better response.

At what voltage does this start to happen??

Just a thought:
BEC, or battery elimination circuitry is incorporated into most small signal receivers in cooperation from a ESC Electronic speed control, which would work in a way so that even if the battery has dumped the receiver still has enough power to run servos without an external receiver battery and cut the power going to the main motor. This circuitry switches states as the battery gets more discharged.

I'd like to see the actual circuit, I don't see why taking an I/O pin directly to +5V wouldn't work under any conditions that the PIC would work under. The pull-down resistor wouldn't really make any difference, zero ohms (well nearly - from a switch) and 100Kohm isn't really any comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back