Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PT669997 motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

steven97439

Howdy all,
I have questions but I am not sure where to post them. Let me start at the beginning. I picked up a dual squirrel cage blower/fan. it has a PT669997, which requires a 4 microfarad capacitor, motor built by the Diehl division of Sears Manufacturing circa 1955. I want to use it in a small propane forge but have no idea how to wire it up. It has three wires, a red trace wire, a black trace wire, an a green trace wire. I took it to my brother in law, a licensed electrician, but all he could tell me is that none of the three wires is a ground. Reading on the internet has led me to believe that the motor is an induction motor. If it is then it needs two different voltages to run. Can anyone help me on this subject? It is ok if you can't, I just thought that I would ask.

If you have a multi-meter, tell us the resistance values between (1) R and B, (2) R and G, (3) B and G.

I wish I could answer your question with a definitive answer, but no matter how you hooked up the wires the values Oscillated all over the place.
Any other ideas?

Make sure your meter has a fresh battery, the motor capacitor is temporarily disconnected, and you are using the lowest Ohms range.

Howdy all,
I have questions but I am not sure where to post them. Let me start at the beginning. I picked up a dual squirrel cage blower/fan. it has a PT669997, which requires a 4 microfarad capacitor, motor built by the Diehl division of Sears Manufacturing circa 1955. I want to use it in a small propane forge but have no idea how to wire it up. It has three wires, a red trace wire, a black trace wire, an a green trace wire. I took it to my brother in law, a licensed electrician, but all he could tell me is that none of the three wires is a ground. Reading on the internet has led me to believe that the motor is an induction motor. If it is then it needs two different voltages to run. Can anyone help me on this subject? It is ok if you can't, I just thought that I would ask.
Welcome, steven97439!

I assuming the motor is wired as below:
MotorCapWiring.jpg
As alec_t suggests, check the resistances.

ONLY A to C (N1) and B to C (N2) will give you the same value (or at least be very close to one another). Resistance between A and B will be approximately double either N1 or N2.

Of course, remove the cap before testing for the resistance(s).

Once you've determined the color coding for A, B and C, the wiring for power will be, obviously, C/A or C/B. One wiring scheme will probably result in CW and the other will result in CCW rotation.

ok, i copied down every thing you wrote, and will pass it on to my electrician brother-in-law, and see what he has to say, it will not be greek to him <G>,

<G> = grin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back