Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Psu circuit ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

curry87

Hi looking for a simple psu circuit with a variable current control and variable voltage control ive got a computer atx psu unit so thats a couple of stages taken care off its just the voltage/current control stage which am uncertain off.The atx psu that i have is good for 24v @.5 amps.

This is the ranges of control im looking for:
Variable current control -> 1ma-10amp
Variable voltage control -> 0v to 24v

Basically i want to be able to set the current control to say X ma and if i draw any more it cuts of supply and you have to manually reset.

Help/ideas would be appreciated.

The voltage and current control can both be done with linear voltage regulators (they can be configured for constant current)

Your requirements of 0-24 volts and 10amps is quiet steep, that's a lot of power for linear regulators. What is your background in electronics and other projects completed?

I guess 1ma to 1 amp will do instead.Beginner hobbyist some experience / knowledge thinking of using a lm317 but cant get my head around the difference between the variable voltage and constant current example circuits in the datasheet what is the difference and how can one be configured for both ?

You can configure a single regulator for both adjustable voltage and current limiting:
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Very interesting solution!

How do you get 10A out of 0.5A in? :confused:

Last edited:
Oh I guess 1 amp will do when you original design goal was 10 amps? You REALLY gotta clarify what you REALLY need before you make posts like this.

Most people want fast sports cars, aren't going to get them.

Colins circuit will probably work fine, though I'm a little confused about how he can regulate current with the output outside of the current sense loop. I think it's just a badly label schematic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back