Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pseudo meaning

Status
Not open for further replies.
It means false or fake... Kind of like cheap knock-off parts, functionally about the same, but not the real deal.

In the context of assembly language programming, the pseudo-operation looks like a machine instruction but it seldom if ever generates actual instructions to be executed. These are often used to tell the assembler something like how many lines per page or where to set the program counter. In this sense they are "false" machine instructions.

Or there's pseudo-code, which is a way of showing an algorithim without being tied to a particular programming language.

By the way the p is silent, it's pronounced soodoe, both o sounds are long as in boat.

Hero999 said:
Or there's pseudo-code, which is a way of showing an algorithim without being tied to a particular programming language.

By the way the p is silent, it's pronounced soodoe, both o sounds are long as in boat.
That's confusing. Soodoe is a good phonetic spelling, but only the last "o" is long. The diphthong "oo" can't properly be described as long o's. Actually, sue-doe might be less confusing.

Ron H said:
That's confusing. Soodoe is a good phonetic spelling, but only the last "o" is long. The diphthong "oo" can't properly be described as long o's. Actually, sue-doe might be less confusing.

How can you guys hear these people mispronouncing stuff? I don't hear anything, except the stereo. Think it's too loud?

I find "pseudo" word in this sentence:

{ Figure below shows the pseudo block of a decoder}

I read in wikipedia page that In Internet parlance, a pseudo (from pseudonym, a false name) is a computer program designed to simulate a human user.
but i think that's not identical to the word context meaning here. what do you think?

Last edited:
4electros said:

I read in wikipedia page that In Internet parlance, a pseudo (from pseudonym, a false name) is a computer program designed to simulate a human user.
but i think that's not identical to the word context meaning here. what do you think?
Your link only takes us to the top level of the forums. You need to link to the actual thread that has the occurrence of "pseudo".

Last edited:
4electros said:

You need to refer to the FIRST half of the wikipedia definition, which explains what pseudo means when used as a prefix. The second part has no relevance here.

wikipedia said:
Pseudo is a prefix of Greek origin. It means "false".

It identifies something as superficially resembling the original subject; a pseudopod resembles a foot, and pseudorandom numbers simulate numbers generated by truly random events, but are in fact produced by an algorithm.

It is also used to mark something as false, fraudulent, or pretending to be something it is not in fact, as in pseudoscience or pseudophilosophy.

For instance, pseudocode would be some fake code written that expresses what you are trying to accomplish, but does not use the proper syntax and commands for any real programming language. In the case of your question, "pseudo block" would mean that it is a simplified block diagram of the device, used to highlight some important points about it, but not including all the details, and most likely using a different symbol than you would use in a "real" block diagram.

Last edited:
Just to create a bit of murk in the presence of such clarity, I would suggest the term "quasi-", as in the quasi-bi-directional port of the 8051 architecture. It wants to be bi-directional, but it cannot source more than a minescule amount of current. It can howver sink several TTL loads.

This term occurs in astronomy as the quasi-stellar object or quasar.

IMHO a more refined definition of pseudo would move away the negative coonotation of "false" or "fake" and move in the direction of saying that it means "similar to, but different in some important details"

So the pseudo block of the decoder would be "similar to, but lacking detail"
The pseudo instruction would be "similar to, but lacking an executable instruction".

That's my $1.25

Edit: what he said

BTW(By the Way) an interesting thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back