Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

proximity sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

norbss

hi. I need to replace this proximity sensor. Can anyone tell me what specs it is so I wont be in the dark when I go to the store to buy it? is it a NPN or PNP? It is installed in a delta CTA4100A counter which can be configured to either PNP or NPN input. Can anyone tell me also what would happens if I connect a NPN sensor to a PNP input or a PNP sensor to a NPN input? Thanks

Attachments

• 20190125_201151-min.jpg
    20190125_201151-min.jpg
    819 KB · Views: 109
Thanks for the info. What would happen if I installed a NPN NO sensor to a PNP input? would it damage the sensor? it will not work at all? possible erratic readings?

You mean it would still work even though I connect a NPN sensor to a PNP input? would it be as accurate if you were to connect it correctly?

If you bother to read the link that Nigel provided in post #2 then you can install the CORRECT type.

Les.

but what nigel said in his 4th post was that "It probably would work at all, it shouldn't damage anything." so there really is no correct or incorrect way of connecting since it would still work unless Nigel forgot to put the word " it probably would "NOT work at all?

Why don't you just order the correct one? The model number is right in your photo.

607B9D67-BD68-46E3-BCBC-8BAAAECD83F5.jpeg

E08BA24D-4C95-4DF3-B26E-36C7AA3A4580.jpeg

but what nigel said in his 4th post was that "It probably would work at all, it shouldn't damage anything." so there really is no correct or incorrect way of connecting since it would still work unless Nigel forgot to put the word " it probably would "NOT work at all?

Sorry, I made a rather confusing typo - I meant to write "wouldn't work at all".

If you use the wrong type then it's the wrong polarity, and most probably won't work at all.

You simply need to buy the correct type, and I would imagine the one you've got is by far the most common?.

If you can't find that switch at a reasonable price, look at AutomationDirect.com. It looks like they may have something that would probably be a drop-in replacement.

I'll take your advice gophert. it only take 7 to 16 days to ship from china to the philippines. As expected, I showed the price to the store and they told me, these items from china will probably last you 6 months max.

I worked with prox switches on the equipment at work for 20 years. What equipment was the prox switch on? Call the dealer for parts. Call sales they might be able to put you in contact with the factory of the machine you own. Call local industrial equipment dealers. Motion Industry is the only nation wide dealer I can think of at the moment. Local industrial electronic supply companies sell many brands of prox switches they might cross it with another brand. Prox switch has a supply voltage and wires to Normally closed and nornally open contacts. When metal gets a certain distance of the prox the switch closes or opens. If you find a replacement prox that will electrically work you might need to build new mounting bracket to attach it with bolts.

I worked with prox switches on the equipment at work for 20 years. What equipment was the prox switch on? Call the dealer for parts. Call sales they might be able to put you in contact with the factory of the machine you own. Call local industrial equipment dealers. Motion Industry is the only nation wide dealer I can think of at the moment. Local industrial electronic supply companies sell many brands of prox switches they might cross it with another brand. Prox switch has a supply voltage and wires to Normally closed and nornally open contacts. When metal gets a certain distance of the prox the switch closes or opens. If you find a replacement prox that will electrically work you might need to build new mounting bracket to attach it with bolts.

All of those options will help the OP find a $200 route to replace his $3.50 part.

I've ordered the $3.50 part from china and it should arrive in 2 weeks time. in the meantime, I reconnected my old PR-4T which with the help from gophert is a 3 wire NPN NO proximity switch. Ive noticed on my counter(Delta CT4100A) that the input was set to PNP so I changed it to NPN. It also works. My question is why does my proximity sensor work whether the input is set for PNP or NPN ? I still have to try it tomorrow to see if the counter would skip during normal operation. I tested it today and it did not skip during the 5 minute test run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back