Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

providing power to 12 & 14V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abstract3000

I have a general question I'm sorry if I'm on the wrong board but I know very little about this sort of thing.

I'm looking for the best way to power two 14V Lamps and a 12V Lamp.

I built a M.A.M.E cabinet and using a PC of course and have a power strip powering the PC, Marquee Light, and monitor. I would like to limit the amount of plugins so I don’t have to use an extension cord or another power strip.

What Might be my best option for powering the 2 14V lamps on the coin door and the 12V lamp beneath the Trackball? I was wondering if there were some sort of step down converter that was adjustable where I could simply plug it in and then adjust multiple outputs to the correct voltage needed or does anyone have any other sort of ideas that may do the trick?
Thanks

First you need to figure out is how much current it takes to light each type of lamp. If there is a type number on the base you can look it up on the web. If all you know is the Watt rating, divide the Watts by 12 or 14, respectively to get amps.

If you operate a nominal 14V lamp on 12V, it will be only slightly dimmer. I would just wire all three lamps in parallel and operate all three off the same 12V power supply.
I'm guessing you will need a 3 to 5A power supply. You could also just get a 120V (assuming US, why didn't you put your country in when you registered?) to 12V transformer and operate the lamps on AC.

Hello and welcome.
The power source is under your nose.
Crack open the PC case and look for a spare unused connector like this :
**broken link removed**
Bring it out the case a connection to the yellow (+12V) and a black one and you have 12V to turn your 12/14V lights on. :)
Miguel

Last edited:
Bring it out the case a connection to the yellow (+12V) and a black one and you have 12V to turn your 12/14V lights on.

The OP still should determine how much current the lamps require...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back