Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Proteus: Need some help (and don't know whom to turn to)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TooOldbutTrying

Greetings;

Will humbly apologise for registering here only so as to ask, but i've honestly hit a wall on something that appears to be of trivial a nature. And as stated, don't have anyone to ask am afraid :)
I need some assistance with a PCB layout; or rather, what should have been one, as all i got was a plethora of .txt files. The included readme file pointed to Proteus, only this hasn't helped, as there appears to be a.. 'main' file of sorts missing from the archive i downloaded; as mentioned, all it contained was .txt formats.
Regardless, i've installed an evaluation period version of Proteus so i could try my luck, but much as i Googled, i couldn't find a way to link a (new?) project with aforementioned .txts bundle.

Am aware that being mere gerbers, i could simply rename them and have a look through different software, which i have. However this doesn't work on all layers and i need be certain of what am looking at prior to sending the file for printing.
I don't know why the files were uploaded as they were (am suspecting licensing.. "issues"?), but either way, they're all i have to work with.

If anyone has the time and patience to guide me through this, i'd be much obliged.

Appreciate your time.

Last edited:
Thank you for answering Visitor;

main - CADCAM Bottom Copper.txt
main - CADCAM Bottom Silk Screen.txt
main - CADCAM Bottom Solder Resist.txt
main - CADCAM Drill.txt
main - CADCAM Mechanical.txt
main - CADCAM Read-Me.txt
main - CADCAM Top Copper.txt
main - CADCAM Top Silk Screen.txt
main - CADCAM Top Solder Resist.txt

Those seem to be "Gerber" files, at least based on the main names. The ".txt" seems wrong however. Try importing those as Gerber, if your software has that option.
The Drill file is probably a N/C drill file.
Good luck.

EDIT: Ooopps, I saw you mention Gerber in the posting. Look up standard gerber file extension names and try renaming those file extensions. The "Mechanical" is probably the "Board" or "Board Outline". Not sure what the "read-me.txt is....

Not sure what the "read-me.txt is....

Appreciate the response;
It's generated by Proteus, appears to 'link' the main file (which is missing, hence the OP), with its subordinate files.
Presuming here of course, but this is the impression i got, supported by the fact that inside it is a listing of all the files mentioned above.

As to renaming them, have already done so but i've issues opening/loading a number of them, it's not just the Mechanical one. As per OP, if i could somehow manage to generate a proper Proteus extension format with them, i could then find my way of exporting it.
(ideally to something Sprint Layout friendly, but.. let's get to that exporting first)

These are indeed Gerber files and everything you need to have circuit boards made. The original source file isn't needed to get boards made.

The original source file was probably not released.

I appreciate your patience :)

Might be just me, or perhaps the gerber viewer i've chosen, but as stated, have had issues loading some of them, which is what prompted this.
Will have another look, try with a different viewer or editor.

However, if in the meantime (and assuming it's possible) someone could teach me how to link a new Proteus project with said .txt. files, i'd be very thankful.

However, if in the meantime (and assuming it's possible) someone could teach me how to link a new Proteus project with said .txt. files, i'd be very thankful.

You can't go backwards from Gerber files to a source file.

GERBER LAYERS
main - CADCAM Bottom Copper.txt
main - CADCAM Bottom Silk Screen.txt
main - CADCAM Bottom Solder Resist.txt

main - CADCAM Top Copper.txt
main - CADCAM Top Silk Screen.txt

PROBABLY GERBER
main - CADCAM Mechanical.txt

DRILL FILE
main - CADCAM Drill.txt

DOCUMENTATION - As it says, READ it.
main - CADCAM Read-Me.txt

Aaah, that's the .DRL equivalent then, OK OK.

Let me have another look.
And again, appreciate your help Visitor :)

* the older you get.. takes a while for thing to click, do excuse me.

Sorry that I'm too late to the party But... I use Proteus to the hilt. The gerber output isn't *.gbl like all other gerber outputs, but simply txt.. BUT!! I have successfully had several PCB's made with the txt ouput...GBL is only txt anyway..

I used PCBway and the proteus output was fine..

I use OrCad and the gerber outputs are text files. The file suffix varies but the content of the files is readable text. As long as there's a readme like file that describes what each file is, the board house can create the PCB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back