Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Protel PCB layout package?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyback

A senior design engineer has just given me a usb stick with protel pcb layout software on it.
He tells me that any design i do must be drawn and layed out in this Protel

What is it?
Is it that DOS based PCB layout package?
I have been told its a version before ver 3.5.2.

I have been told that if i have anything later than WinXP, then i'd better run the program in "compatibility mode" (Win95), otherwise it might not be reliable.

Is this PCB package any good?

Some time ago, this engineer said to me that they had seen altium being used once, and then when "convert to PCB" was clicked, the PCB came up with the components linked by the rat's nest...and this senior engineer complained to me that the rat's nest was "weird".........i didnt understand...the rats nest is a great help, surely?
Does this protel incorporate this rats nesting?

Protel is a good program. I use (the dated) 99SE. Find out what version you have.
It has schematic capture, pcb layaut, simulation etc with a good parts library. I doubt it would run in DOS. I use mine in XP and Win8.
Be warned: You are staring at a steep learning curve, but well worth the effort! If you can not get the manual, get a book and visit their web site.
Best of luck! E

I am used to Eagle Pro......which is literally as simple as a PCB.
If an individual knows the basic structure of a PCB, then that individual WILL be able to use Eagle....its that easy

With other PCB packages, i am afraid that this is not so, and i fancy that Protel is one of the "not so's"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back